The Wii SP

JacksonS

Portables
This is my first Wii portable system. I tried to make it very "Wii" by painting it all white and including some Wii remote buttons and player LEDs. Its dimensions are 176 mm x 94 mm x 29 mm.

These are the highlighted features:
- Vacuum formed case, all hand crafted
- An internal Wii remote, Wii Classic Controller, and GameCube controller (3-way switch determines which controller is in use)
- 4.3" LCD display (composite video)
- HDMI video/audio out (component to HDMI)
- Stereo audio with speakers and headphones
- 4 3.7v batteries with 3400 mAh each = 6800 mAh at 7.4v
- Double-press L and R buttons (analog capability) as well as ZL and ZR buttons
- External SD card slot, internal 128 GB USB flash drive

More pictures:

You can see the full worklog here.

I know who's getting that 1st place prize.~

Did you use the charge and play circuit? Also what's your battery life like when running everything? What is your estimate on overall cost for parts and materials?

Last edited:

JacksonS

Portables
Did you use the charge and play circuit?
Yes, a rudimentary one. When the power switch is in the "Off" position, you can plug in the Wii 12v adapter to play off external power while charging the batteries.

Also what's your battery life like when running everything?
I tested the batteries and they lasted for 4 hours and 20 minutes in a GameCube game. That's about right since it draws around 1.5 amps at 7.4v.

What is your estimate on overall cost for parts and materials?
I reused a lot of stuff, but I also had to buy some things more than once. If you were to buy all the materials I used I would say it's around $325.

Alright. That's pretty tame considering the degree of quality. I'm going to go with the silicon mold and cast resin method though since I intend on making replacement shells for GC remotes to sell.

I'm really impressed with your build, and my only imrovement would have been to add 2 GC ports for road trips with buddies.

JacksonS

Portables
I'm really impressed with your build, and my only imrovement would have been to add 2 GC ports for road trips with buddies.
That's a good suggestion but I chose not to bother with that because Nintendont allows you to use Bluetooth controllers as GameCube controllers.

Wait. So I could use my ouya controller with Nintendont?
Or is it just Wii branded bluetooth controllers?

JacksonS

Portables
Wait. So I could use my ouya controller with Nintendont?
Or is it just Wii branded bluetooth controllers?
I think if it's not a Nintendo-brand controller, you have to plug it in through USB and download the proper configurations. Here are some configurations that have been written.

Last edited:

Shank

Staff member
Portables
Here is the official list so you know what works and what doesn't:
USB
Bluetooth