Worklog The Wii Micro

Hello BitBuilt community!
I have been wanting to portableize a Wii for a long time now, but due to me being in school, and without a job until summer, I am a bit short on money. Instead I’m planning on making a Wii micro following Noldtronics design due to the hardware needed being a lot more cost friendly.

I have the case 3D printing and currently have trimmed and sanded my 6 layer Wii motherboard, GameCube controller ports, and the 3.3v battery holder for the internal clock.
F6098582-E74C-49E0-9A1E-36A36F0EAE5A.jpeg

I have also order the parts for the power regulators:
16v 100uF capacitors
assorted resistors
And the fantastically named PTH08080WAH modules.

While relocating U10 my soldering iron slipped and scratched some CPU to GPU traces.
FD6DD525-40F0-4AB9-96E9-9D79A3B734BF.jpeg

After panicking for a while, I worked up the courage to see if it was destroyed, so I broke out the ‘ol multi-meter, and tested on some conveniently placed test pads, and luckily enough it wasn’t broken, Thank God.

-sepencer
I will make sure to keep you all updated on the status on my build.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Hello BitBuilt community!
I have been wanting to portableize a Wii for a long time now, but due to me being in school, and without a job until summer, I am a bit short on money. Instead I’m planning on making a Wii micro following Noldtronics design due to the hardware needed being a lot more cost friendly.

I have the case 3D printing and currently have trimmed and sanded my 6 layer Wii motherboard, GameCube controller ports, and the 3.3v battery holder for the internal clock.
View attachment 15782

I have also order the parts for the power regulators:
16v 100uF capacitors
assorted resistors
And the fantastically named PTH08080WAH modules.

While relocating U10 my soldering iron slipped and scratched some CPU to GPU traces.
View attachment 15783
After panicking for a while, I worked up the courage to see if it was destroyed, so I broke out the ‘ol multi-meter, and tested on some conveniently placed test pads, and luckily enough it wasn’t broken, Thank God.

-sepencer
I will make sure to keep you all updated on the status on my build.
Praise Ashen for strong soldermask

Alright, it’s been a while, but a lot of developments have occurred.

The 3D printed case came out amazingly, and after a bit of wet sanding it was ready to go.
176F00C9-24B2-430D-972D-3EF32D1107BF.jpeg

Then guess who messed up their u10 and motherboard... again!
I noticed that I ran the u10 wire to the gpu through one of heat sink screw holes due to a lack of planning. And little ‘ol me decided to be smart and rip the wire off, no not desolder it. Big mistake. It ripped off one of u10’s legs and the solder pad underneath, whoops:D
(I’ve ordered another motherboard)

My parts for the custom regulators came, I was hoping to to just get a RVL-PSU from the bitbuilt store, but they are out of stock :/
Though the regulators turned out pretty nice.
3A95D030-FF30-4EE1-83DF-3EF0B87CBAE9.jpeg