The Wavecube

I started my first portable in spring of 2020, I designed it with the goal of making something that felt and looked as close to an official Nintendo product as I could get. The result was the Wavecube:

IMG_9948o.jpg

Specs:

- Frankencased shell from original Wavebird plus 3D printed PLA internals housing section
- Original Wavebird controller board and buttons with T3 stickboxes modded in, connected to GC+2.0
- 4x Samsung 21700 5000mAh batteries for 5.5 - 6 hours of life (Tested only playing Gamecube games)
- 4:3 640x480 LCD with VGA
- Stereo speakers and headphone out with a PAM8803 and TDA1308
- Custom low battery LED circuit (Red: low battery, Yellow: charging, Green: Charged)
- Rumble motors inside handles
- Stenciled Gamecube logo replica
- Relocated start button
- Original Wii DC in port

Weight: 1lb 11.4oz / 775g (Just 1lb less than a Wii, these batteries are heavy)
Dimensions: 23.5cm x 9.75cm x 6.75cm (Pretty much a Switch but as thick as a Wavebird)

IMG_9943o.jpg

IMG_9951o.jpg

IMG_9952o.jpg

IMG_9955o.jpg

IMG_9956o.jpg

IMG_9959o.jpg

IMG_9964o.jpg

IMG_9962o.jpg

IMG_9995.JPG

IMG_9973o.jpg

After almost giving up on this project after my regulators died, killing my Wii motherboard, I'm super glad I kept working on it. I've gained mad respect for all of you here who are working on your own portables, I couldn't have finished mine without your support and resources. Thanks to everyone who helped answer my questions and has worked on the resources available here!

If anyone wants to take on a similar project that uses a Wavebird, I'm including some STL downloads for my top and bottom shell pieces, along with some auxiliary parts. The models aren't perfect, and they were designed for the specific parts that I used, but you can feel free to use these as a template as they fit with the wavebird shell pretty nicely.

Worklog:
https://www.bitbuilt.net/forums/index.php?threads/first-portable-the-wavecube.3973/page-2#post-48866

Attachments

Last edited: