Worklog The WaluWiigi 2.0 (final name)

GingerOfOz

no wario
Staff member
.
.
2020 2nd Place Winner
2022 3rd Place Winner
Joined
Dec 16, 2016
Messages
1,122
Likes
2,708
Location
The Oregon Wildlands
Portables
just so many i am so cool
OH BABY IT'S TIME

After the original WaluWiigi took the 2017 contest by storm and generated a whopping 3 votes overall, I've decided to duplicate that success with a successor. The WaluWiigi 2.0 is going to take everything I've learned from my past two years in the portbalizing community and build what will hopefully be the perfect portable for me.

It took me a while to figure out what I wanted from the WaluWiigi 2.0. I had some problems with the Waker of the Wiind, and many problems with the WaluWiigi, so I wanted something that would remedy those issues without too many compromises. Here are the planned features for this portable:

-All original GCC buttons (except for the dpad). Overall, I don't mind the DS button setup too much, but on some games it definitely feels wrong. More important for me though is the triggers. The dual tact setup is great for every single game I play, except Super Mario Sunshine.

-Case organically modeled after the GCC shell with the screen on top. It will be very WaveRider-esque, but 100% 3D printed.

-PowerMii full

-Probably an OMEGA trim to make everything fit

-WAH astetics (of course)

So far I haven't made much progress on this portable, aside from starting to design a GCC shell as exactly as I could. It went surprisingly well, and I do have some pictures to show my progress thus far:

Screenshot (74).png
Screenshot (75).png
Screenshot (76).png

The entire shell together does look somewhat chunky, but that's mostly because the back of the case still needs some shaping done to it. My biggest concern was whether or not it would even be possible to get close to OEM feel with CAD, but I'm very happy with how the front of the case looks thus far, and am looking forward to using these case assets in projects beyond this one.

If I have extra time (lol), then I would like to implement a dock system. I know that it's pointless when another Wii could do the job just as well, but I still think they're cool.

Good luck to the rest of y'all! We're only 8 hours into the contest and I'm already seeing cool stuff so I'm sure August wil be awesome.
 

GingerOfOz

no wario
Staff member
.
.
2020 2nd Place Winner
2022 3rd Place Winner
Joined
Dec 16, 2016
Messages
1,122
Likes
2,708
Location
The Oregon Wildlands
Portables
just so many i am so cool
I had the itch to solder something this weekend, so I decided to tackle one of the more daunting parts of this portable: the OMEGA trim.

I decided to use a Wii that already had a full NAND relocation, as I had used it to test Aurelio's flex boards a while back. With that out of the way, first up was to relocate the AVE. I had a dead LMAO trim from a long time ago, so I chopped the AVE section of the board out of that. It took 3 hours of careful soldering, but it was worth every second, as turning on the Wii showed that I was still getting video!
20190525_171350.jpg

Next, I worked to relocate the last couple of resistors and capacitors that would be chopped off in the final cut. Testing after this revealed that the Wii was still working properly, so it was time to slice and dice!
20190526_121908.jpg

A few minutes with a dremel, an hour with some sandpaper, and one LDO wiring up later...
20190527_124258.jpg

It works!
20190527_132059.jpg
20190527_132114.jpg

A huge thanks to Nold and Madmorda for allowing me their help and documentation. Without them, this would have been much harder to pull off.
20190527_132256.jpg

The dream lives on, so next up is a LOT of brutal CAD work. Progress on this may be put on hold for a little while as I would like to wrap up my Waker v2 project soon, but I will begin working in earnest on this portable soon.
 
Joined
May 19, 2019
Messages
10
Likes
20
I had the itch to solder something this weekend, so I decided to tackle one of the more daunting parts of this portable: the OMEGA trim.

I decided to use a Wii that already had a full NAND relocation, as I had used it to test Aurelio's flex boards a while back. With that out of the way, first up was to relocate the AVE. I had a dead LMAO trim from a long time ago, so I chopped the AVE section of the board out of that. It took 3 hours of careful soldering, but it was worth every second, as turning on the Wii showed that I was still getting video!
View attachment 8743
Next, I worked to relocate the last couple of resistors and capacitors that would be chopped off in the final cut. Testing after this revealed that the Wii was still working properly, so it was time to slice and dice!
View attachment 8744
A few minutes with a dremel, an hour with some sandpaper, and one LDO wiring up later...View attachment 8745
It works!
View attachment 8746 View attachment 8747
A huge thanks to Nold and Madmorda for allowing me their help and documentation. Without them, this would have been much harder to pull off.
View attachment 8748
The dream lives on, so next up is a LOT of brutal CAD work. Progress on this may be put on hold for a little while as I would like to wrap up my Waker v2 project soon, but I will begin working in earnest on this portable soon.
Dude...
I solder for a living, and have been doing so for like 10 years,
i could not do that, that is art. I have never seen such well done rework.
 
Top