Worklog The Ultimate Portable

Discussion in 'Wii' started by MilLsDq, Apr 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nold C L U B C L A M S H E L L .

Portables:
    4 + 1*π
    Even if there are many strange things about your portable (DD, Memorycart, ...) , i still really like it's look. Especially because you didn't have much time to put this together, it's pretty impressive as you really put a lot inside!

Can't wait to see an improved BB-Version of it ;-)

2. Gman RTFDS Staff Member . . . . .

It is a waste to 3D print a case and not design screw posts. Screws make is easier to assemble and highly serviceable. Glue is not a great building material because it can fail and mounting the parts is not as precise. The inside is where it really counts.

3. MilLsDq .

I did use screw posts for connecting the 2 halves together. There are 6 of them, suppose to be 8 but the distance on 2 of them were wrong on the actual case, didnt notice this until already loading everything. Maintenance on this system is important cause i do want to eventually get everything working like the touch screen.
    Screw Connector.png

-merge-

yea wiiflow and that dd, i know portablizemii gets rid of it, but I did this work in wiiflow that i still wanted to make portable. i wired up the memory card even when it saves to the hdd, just for fun, but i ended up not removing it later, i just hit the fuck it button since i had the convenient space inside for it.
    Anyways, Thanks man, appreciate it. I'll try to get the BB version made later this year!

-merge-

Thanks, i didn't want anyone including myself offended or cheap shotted with all that, glad things are mostly squared away at this point!
    Between the paint job, it's cuuuurves, and the switches and buttons and such, i think it looks futuristic but retro at the same time, cause it goes from wii games all the way back to Odyssey.

noted, glad we sorted this out, I'll be sure to look around more in depth when this semester ends

This reply made me smile the whole time reading it, thanks! And good luck, I'll check out your project video then. There was quite a bit of not sleeping between this build and other things going on here on my end, but worth it to get it closed up and working almost exactly how I wanted it to. I really appreciate the case related compliments, cause I feel I am not good at making cases look nice. yeah that dd board has to go, but without it wii games wouldnt load on wiiflow.

I'm getting use to the thread lingo, like merging posts and combining. I'll fix that for the future!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 3, 2018
  4. Madmorda Painting Queen Staff Member . . .

Portables:
    As first wii portables go, this is definitely a solid build :) I am also in the HLH competition and I wasn't confident enough to try building a wii portable in a month, so I'm very impressed that you were able to finish this and make it look nice. I like the black and white in particular (I'm all about casework haha). I especially like the curvy bezel, I think that came out really well and looks nice as well as being functional. The aesthetic design choices are spot on. I look forward to seeing your next wii portable after you've had some time to check out the other builds and methods here. I think they will make your life a lot easier as well as cut down on some of the unneccesary parts like the daughterboard.

As a side note, you want to avoid posting multiple times in a row. Please just edit onto the previous post unless a decent interval has passed :)

Stitches, cheese, MilLsDq and 3 others like this.
  5. Stitches 2 and a Half Dollarydoos Staff Member . .

Portables:
    Lel you trimmed your Wii with scissors, you should meet BocuD.

Spencer Richardson and Nold like this.
  6. BocuD .

Portables:
    Ayy
    Actually as long as you're not removing the nand with a paint burner your still good lol

Stitches likes this.
  7. Nold C L U B C L A M S H E L L .

Portables:
    4 + 1*π
    Normally, I'm not the guy criticizing other people builds. But since this is "the ultimate portable" I think it's just appropriate to say some things i recognized watching your video.

First of all, as I'm a tech-guy, so lets have a look at the internals...
    djm_portable_half1.png
    djm_portable_half2.png
    IDK if I need to say anything.. it's a mess.

But what I don't get at all: How does your cooling system work?
    I can see a fan, but no heatsinks or a way for the air to flow...

djm_portable_internals.png
    My guess would be, that you are using something like a copper plate. But still I don't see a way for the air to flow or even leave the case?! O.o

Well the trim has been discussed... But yea.. "WiiFlow"...

In minute 8:34 in your video you say that the AVE & NAND "can't be removed".
    Which made my poor OMEGA board cry & simply is misinformation :(
    [​IMG]

Also listing every homebrew/emulator for the wii as a feature of your portable, is kinda weird... every wii & nearly every wii portables has this "features"..

8. Stitches 2 and a Half Dollarydoos Staff Member . .

Portables:
    I think those 3 little square holes on the sides are supposed to be air vents, but they're so tiny and out of the way.

9. bud DAT ASS .

Portables:
    13+-ish Can't remember ;P
    This guy has been ripping off people's work for years. (Mine included) If you're going to steal others ideas as your own at least make it look nice/functional. Everything I've seen looks like a rats nest/battery fire waiting to happen. Not really any excuse for that when myself and countless others did the dirty work many years ago.

You're a chode in my opinion and you'll never replace Heck. How do you expect to run a show when you can't come up with your own ideas to begin with?

Bad form all around.

Noah, BocuD, Stitches and 7 others like this.
  10. Matthew Formally known as Chaos Staff Member . .

Portables:

ezmoney

Last edited: Apr 21, 2018
    BocuD, cheese and Aurelio like this.
  11. GingerOfOz no wario Staff Member . .

Portables:
    Before anyone feels bad, check out this guy's profile page on E14. Oh wait, his account got deactivated, along with 18 other accounts that voted for him. He was disqualified from the contest and as a result did not receive the prize money he very likely could have won. Not to mention his contest video appears to have disappeared from YouTube. Hmm.

Our accusations of lying and cheating were clearly unfounded.

Farewell MillsDQ'd. May justice continue to perform as desired.

12. ShockSlayer Ivan - the tyranny of evil men . .

Portables:
    All
    The truth will always find a way to make itself known. Remember that.

Locking this thread because I know an easy target when I see one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.