The Super Pi

The Next Guy

Sun Dried Cases
Portables
Melted in the Sun
So over the last 2 weeks, I've been working on a project using the Raspberry Pi 3 as a portable gaming device. (Very original huh?) I made an attempt with it before using some really silly stuff inside of it: A USB SNES Controller, 18560s, RPI default audio... and so on. The final case thickness turned out to be 38mm, which is absurd. This time around I've done a much better job at managing parts and space. Features:
  • 192Kbps I2S Audio DAC with headphone switching
  • 5" TFT Screen
  • 3.7v 4000mAh Battery
  • Arduino Pro Micro AT32U4 for controller mapping and control
  • Raspberry Pi 3B+ for smooth emulation
  • USB Type-C Charging Port (Cause it's more common on my devices, 2.0 support only.)
  • Li-poly Charger/Step Up with Power Path
  • Modified Retro Pie software
  • 2 Watt loudspeaker, deactivated when headphones plugged in.
It took about 4 days for parts to arrive, case to be designed/printed, components stuffed in, battery conditioning, and testing. The Black one below was the original, put together in a rush so I could take it to the field. The white one was completely redrawn after I got back with more internal supports and screen lowered. I also replaced the barrel jack with a Type-C connector. You will immediately notice how much better the v2 case printed out. Pics Below

20191128_153004.jpg

Comparison Between v1 and v2

20191128_152644.jpg

Guts of v2, it slightly looks like spaghetti. Don't ask what v0 looked like with the 18650s

20191128_152700.jpg

Nice top and front view, notice the external USB port and the headphone jack.

20191128_152706.jpg

Nice Back view, notice the Triggers, Type-C port, Power Button, and SD Card

20191128_152952.jpg

Bottom view with the screws in, they just out a bit but I like it that way. In case somebody spills water, it will flow right under the case.