Worklog The Steamii

Portables
1 Woodii
Hello Bitbuilt! I finally got around to learning how to model after finishing my G-Wii clone.

In my time on this website, I've seen people make some incredible builds. Wiis that fit in your pocket, portable kits you can buy and build yourself, so on and so forth. But the one thing that seems to be an afterthought is comfort and how a controller feels in your hands.

Introducing the Steamii.

steamiirender.PNG

I've always liked the shape of the steam controller but never found it comfortable to use because of how you have to angle your thumbs and drag them against pads. This is my chance to not only make a comfortable portable using a shape no one has used yet but correct features I personally think held back the steam controller.

Every part you see except for Wesk's models was modeled by me. It was a pain to try and convert/modify the actual steam controller case from the ungodly amount of polygons it has so I just used the model as a guide for the create form tool in fusion 360. Was it the easiest or fastest way of doing it? No. But it was the easiest for me to do since I have no experience with fusion.

steamiirender2.PNG

There are a couple of things missing from the current render like holes for the speakers, cutting the case in half, shoulder buttons, mounting, etc. but you get the basic idea.

steamiiinsides.PNG

steamiiinsides2.PNG

The Steamii will have an RVL-PMS, USB-C, GC+2.0, U-AMP modified for WiiHUD, 2 Switch breakout boards, RVL LCD Double Dong on a 4.3" screen, 2 joycon sticks, 2 700mw SP-1511-3 speakers, 2 5v ERM motors, 2 Samsung 50E 21700 4900mAH batteries, and 2 dual-action tactile buttons because I don't want to do the "glue-two-buttons-together" method again.

Eventually, I'd like to add a custom PCB of some sort to make the console beep when you turn it on like an actual steam controller.

Portables
This looks incredibly , i personally really the dig the thumb angle with the way the pads are angled but I had friends come over with lans that said the same thing, can't wait to see it printed next to an actual steam controller

I'm certainly intrigued by this project. I can't wait to see it when it's done. Hopefully everything goes smoothly for you. Best of luck in your endeavors!

Portables
1 Woodii
Time for a long-overdue update!

As it turns out working with organic geometry for a project that requires a lot of straight lines is really difficult, but entirely possible. Progress is slow, but I've done most of the hard work designing everything.

steamer1.PNG
steamer6.PNG
prototype1.jpeg

prototype2.jpeg

prototype3.jpeg

So far there are working mounts for the PMS, USB-C, Cooling fan, batteries, U-AMP, button breakouts, joysticks, speakers, DD, and headphone jack. Other parts like the GC+2.0 and joystick breakouts I'll have to commit the cardinal sin of gluing on or taping down.

Even with the bulk of the modeling done, I have to do a lot of troubleshooting for the mounts that don't work. Some things like the case halves fitting together and the slots for the batteries work perfectly, even with shrinkage from ABS. Others, like the holes for the shoulder buttons have to be entirely redone because they are too thin to print or break very easily. If you look closely at the print of the bottom half, the USB-C and DD aren't even screwed on because the print lifted off the bed slightly and I broke the mounts. Until I can design mounts that don't break from the slightest bit pressure, super glue is my best friend.

I have a couple ideas for things that may or may not be added to the final version of the build:

- The click function of the joysticks can be used as a start button, but if that turns out to be too awkward I'll make an actual start button.

- There is some space between the cooling system and the PMS that would be perfect for a trimmed MX chip if I move the PMS over slightly.

- I could feasably make openings on both sides for taking out and changing the batteries like a regular controller. Since I would probably put in the batteries backwards and ruin my portable, I designed a 3 prong slot that only the positive end of my batteries can fit into.
1.jpeg

2.jpeg
Then all I would need is a couple of springs to hold the batteries in place.

And with all that out of they way, I hope you all have a happy Sunday!

steamer2.PNG

steamer3.PNG

steamer4.PNG

steamer5.PNG

Attachments

Last edited:

GingerOfOz

no wario
Staff member
2020 2nd Place Winner
2022 3rd Place Winner
Portables
just so many i am so cool
That's a clever idea with forcing the correct battery orientation. Good luck working out the kinks, excited to see how this turns out!

StonedEdge

a.k.a. ClonedEdge
Portables
Jesus dude, this is beautiful. I cannot wait to see how this turns out in the end. Hands down the most comfortable Wii portable design I’ve seen...

54C93985-CE20-466F-BBD9-437C8AAC5035.jpeg

Portables
1 Woodii
Hey everyone it’s been awhile! I recently started working on this project again but I’ve hit a bit of a brick wall.

The Wii is booting and has video but I cannot for the life of me get input from the GC+2.0 despite it working before. I’ve tried resoldering the data wire, checking the voltages, switching out GC+ boards, and switching my U10 out for the U10 emulator on the PMS-Lite but nothing seems to work.

224C7FD4-955E-4D25-BD6E-17AB3C9B8A0F.jpeg
57D51BB9-865D-478A-B570-B2ED00D11D85.jpeg
B9890427-0992-4776-8902-A5BA4D110E31.jpeg
0BA85276-3FE2-464D-B077-9281CA138CBD.jpeg

9988C8B8-6F27-48BA-9841-77BB1E53AF90.jpeg

The colors on the display are a bit funky right now but I just need to clean up my wiring on the DD.

Wesk

Undervolting....
Staff member
All your boards look really quite messy, with random residue on all the boards and a ton of cold solder joints. As much as you don't want to I'd suggest pulling everything out, cleaning it up and re-soldering with clean joints.

The colour issue with Direct Drive looks like something I've experienced before, try put a little pressure on the main chip of the DD and see if that resolves it. I've had to reflow a couple of my DD's due to cold joints.

Last edited: