Worklog [2022 Contest Entry] The SNESpectrum

I've decided to toss my hat into the ring this year, and put into execution an idea I've had floating around my head for a little while - a portable SNES, with 2 wired but detachable controllers - almost like the Switch. The "Spectrum" part is subject to change, but I chose it because I wanted to base the case aesthetic off of the legendary ZX Spectrum home computer. Even though I'm more of a Commodore man myself, you can't deny the Speccy has style!
I hit my first roadblock here when I realized that I can't start the design until I get the parts, especially since the SNES trim is somewhat nonstandard and there isn't as much documentation on it. So I ordered everything up and waited. Everything seems good so far - I've got my 4Layer boards, batteries, buttons, and other such parts all lined up. This is where I hit the second roadblock with this project:
2-sneses.jpg

I've got two of these dinguses, and neither of them work! I guess that's what happens when you gamble on untested consoles... Oh well. I guess if anyone needs a SNES Jr. shell, I've got two right here.
Even though I'm without a console at the moment, that doesn't mean I've got nothing to do until then. My first priority, it seems, will be to wire up the power system, and get the screen working. I'll post that here as I get to it!

Small update, since I haven't had much time to work on this at all!
This project was envisioned from the start to use a 15khz VGA signal instead of composite. However, I can't seem to get Vsync out of the chip no matter what I do!
video.jpg

Looks like I have to order another one of those, too...
Other than that, I've had a little time to begin to model the case. But again, that's going to be difficult to do without a SNES.