Worklog The Slimboii - Passively Cooled Wii Portable

Discussion in 'Wii' started by Ekterm, Jan 14, 2019.

1. Stitches 2 and a Half Dollarydoos Staff Member . .

Portables:
    Correct and correct. Keep video lines away from power lines, regs, and fans (not that you'll have to worry about that one).

2. BocuD .

Portables:
    Yeah if the entire back is a heatsink that should help. Are you adding fins along the back as well to “stimulate” convection?
    My experience was with a small fan/heatsink combo. I had a test setup with everything in open air and the heatsink thing on the wii and it was all fine. But inside the actual case airflow wasnt amazing to say the least and everything was packed together extremely closely. That in combination with the airflow thing is probably why it failed in the end.

3. Ekterm .

Portables:
    Wii Laptop
    I was planning small fins, more like vertical grooves. No heatpipes either this first time around.

4. Ekterm .

Portables:
    Wii Laptop
    I've got a good layout now and drew in some power and data lines, but I'm concerned about how the bluetooth data crosses like all of the main wii power wires, is that going to be a problem? And since I think I have all the parts now (except for the c-stick), tell me if I'm missing anything big.
    slimboii-powerndata.jpg

5. Stitches 2 and a Half Dollarydoos Staff Member . .

Portables:
    It'd be better to stick the BT module onto the Wii mobo closer to where it's wired in.

6. Ekterm .

Portables:
    Wii Laptop
    Can I stick it behind the screen and still have good connection to wiimotes?

7. StonedEdge .

Portables:
    One G-Wii
    The placement of the module itself doesn’t really matter. The IR leds should be visible so that the remote can see. Most people cut some holes in their cases and place them equal distances apart on the top or bottom near the screen.

8. Ekterm .

Portables:
    Wii Laptop
    So you're tellin me putting the bluetooth right behind the middle of the screen like this won't kill the signal like ten feet away? Would it help if I soldered a wire to the antenna to run closer to the front? The screen is big enough I'm imagining some group playing with Wiimotes would be possible. Not planning on internal IRs either.
    IMG_20190822_104745.jpg

Last edited: Aug 23, 2019
  9. BocuD .

Portables:
    Well its not going to help with interference, but I don't think it'll be a problem. Heh i've had wiimotes on a stock Wii work through concrete ceilings.. So yeah its probably fine.

Ekterm likes this.
  10. Stitches 2 and a Half Dollarydoos Staff Member . .

Portables:
    BT has pretty good signal penetration in small devices. My BT module is directly behind the screen and near the regs in my Liinx and it works fine.

Ekterm likes this.