Question The red board question.

Ewhizz

Hi guys,
I have some questions about 'the red board'. First does it have the capability with an LED to tell you accurately when your batteries are charged (4 X 18650s using a 12V 3A source to charge/power). Next once your batteries have charged fully but the source is still plugged in does it stop charging the batteries (to avoid over charging, and heat issues).
I ask this as I intend to have video out on a portable I am building and when in video out mode the portable will be plugged into power over significant periods of time and am making sure it won't damage my batteries or have any other issues.
Thanks

I would like to mention the fact that even though your power source can source up to 3 amps of current, the red board will only charge at 1 amp. It is made to do that for safety reasons.

If your batteries are charged, power will stop flowing to the batteries and then the power supply will just power your portable off wall power instead of battery power.

And according to the ebay description, when the batteries are charging, there is a red LED that will be on. And when the batteries are fully charged, a green LED will be on.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Hi guys,
I have some questions about 'the red board'. First does it have the capability with an LED to tell you accurately when your batteries are charged (4 X 18650s using a 12V 3A source to charge/power). Next once your batteries have charged fully but the source is still plugged in does it stop charging the batteries (to avoid over charging, and heat issues).
I ask this as I intend to have video out on a portable I am building and when in video out mode the portable will be plugged into power over significant periods of time and am making sure it won't damage my batteries or have any other issues.
Thanks
When the cells are full, the red charging LED goes green (as MasterNate said) and it does stop charging the cells. If it didn't, they'd explode.

12V 3A source to charge/power
What others said about the red board using the charge source is correct, but it will also use the charge source while the batteries are charging, So make sure things you are wiring to your red board output to can handle 12v.