Worklog The PSBlock

Portables
Hi guys, I have begun a PS2 project recently and am getting the hand of things, though there is plenty of things I am clueless about and need some help!

I am a complete electronics noob, and somewhat a novice in 3D modelling, just FYI.

I have modelled my own case, which is now in the 3D printed testing stage to iron out any tolorance issues.

Here is a run down of what I have done so far and what needs doing:

Front

The screen size will vary, as I am struggling to find a screen that has a drive board that is well documented and can be ran off 5V, if anyone can help me out with this I would be greatful!

1603048382272.png

Front Internals

Buttons are all custom, only using the OEM Analog sticks on a custom made bracket.
Buttons have not been tested, and have little experience with modelling buttons so more advice would be great!
Tactile switches will be mounted to plastic mounts, however I have reconsidered this and may end up using perfboard/custom PCBs as a more secure mount.

1603048619547.png
1603048661549.png

Back Internals

The back section has rough cutouts for various ports, am considering having the memory card internal as well as the USB, if I can justify the space. Case is currently 40mm or so thick, but considering the awkwardly placed rear buttons I think it works in my favour.

I have another rough cutout for the MB, but have yet to cut the pcb down and see if it fits.

1603048967259.png
1603051863439.png

Bracket
I'd say this is my magnum opus, since it will use up a lot of dead space in the case. Hoping to mount things like the batteries, charge board, amp board and even the controller pcb to this.

I have also included vents for better airflow, should i choose to use a blowerfan.

1603049030032.png

Back
Nothing too fancy here, might slap a logo on it once I decide on a name for this baby :)

1603049338798.png

Things I haven't done yet
  1. Test my PS2 motherboard.​
  2. Trim the board if it works (Standard Trim).​
  3. Wire everything up without screwing it up (Unlikely, lol).​
  4. Create test prints, mainly for buttons and tollerance checks. (And show them, of course!)​
  5. Profit.​
Any advice and tips would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
Portables
Model Update

Moved the rear buttons to the sides, as the placement before was very awkward, feels much better now, 3D printed parts to follow :)

1605221338082.png

Added a the ps logo to the back, came out pretty nice on the printer too somehow!

1605221352367.png

Naked views

Not much changed here other than that I changed all screw posts to accomodate for brass inserts, I will no doubt be taking this appart constantly knowing my skills with electronics lol

I changed the type of buttons I was using as they had square tops for easier button modelling, downside is they are incredibly loud switches.

1605221431779.png

1605221467078.png

1605221494464.png

There is also a mount for screen controls, I will also make the posts for mounting the back much wider as one broke very easily on my print.

Last edited:
Portables
Electronics Progress

I have cut the board down but I have struggled to actually get a output with the cheap TFT screen i bought, I have little faith the board is working honestly.

I am assuming this 2cs battery charge board is okay for this project. If there is anything I am missing please let me know, electronics are not my strong suit.

I will only be using one of the usbs, I actually ended up dremeling into one of the power regulators so that is why.

Also, is the original ps2 power jack okay to use for charging? I have seen others use it on projects before but am not sure if this is just a direct power or how people are charging their portables.

IMG_4841.jpg

Board placed in the back housing

IMG_4844.jpg

This will have two brackets mounted over the top to accomodate for the batteries, charge board, memory card and usb port.

Last edited:
Portables
3D Prints​

Excuse the dirty first layers, I forgot to clean my bed before printing these.

IMG_4842.jpg
IMG_4843.jpg
IMG_4845.jpg

Thoughts so far

I started this project with very little knowledge of 3D modelling in CAD software, and have learnt a lot during this project. I feel I have finished this chapter of the project and now need to work out how to get the guts working inside it.

More to come so sit tight!

Last edited:

GingerOfOz

no wario
Staff member
2020 2nd Place Winner
2022 3rd Place Winner
Portables
just so many i am so cool
Really liking the shoulder buttons on the side, I think that's the most comfortable placement for non-landscaoe portables. Excited to see how it comes together!

Portables
Finally got some things wired up now. I have the screen working and my power all set up the way I want now.

IMG_4918.jpg
IMG_4938 (1).jpg

I had a step down converter as you can see in the photos but decided to remove it as it seemed to drain power incredibly fast and I was also informed they are prone to failure. I decided to just to avoid play and charge all together and only use it when it's on battery power.

I had a go at adding a PAM8403 as well and this worked but no only produces crackling noises now and not sure why. I tried wiring directly to the audio dac on the ps2 but no luck. I will likely try replacing the amp first and see if that is the issue.

As for the fmcboot memory card I am having some issues with that. All wired up fine as far as I can tell with continuity on all points, voltage is correct etc. Only thing I can think is maybe I should only wire to the top side with the capacitors/resistors and not use both top and bottom points. It could also be because my memory card is an unofficial and could have a go at using a official one.

IMG_5030 (1).jpg

IMG_5031.jpg
IMG_5027.jpg

I also tried to wire up the usb but not sure how reliable this connection is, I think my thin tipped iron needs replacing because I can't seem to heat tin the exposed copper very well. Still to be tested.

IMG_5028.jpg

As for how the system is coming together and looking here is a prototype i did a while back in white, and now I have a near finalised print in transparent blue which I think looks really nice. Reminds me of the transparent controllers.

IMG_4850 (1).jpg
1A8EF20C-72AD-4000-B5DB-9DDE6F7D8265 (1).jpg

Oh and I reduced the size of the ps logo since it was kind of a pain to print.

IMG_4920 (1).jpg

Last edited:
Portables
Did you use any voltage regulators? Is it necessary for this build?
I will be adding a 5v switching regulator now as I have decided to load my games via a raspberry pi SMB server. I am only doing the standard trim so multiple custom regulators will not be neccessary.

I am doing things as i go along and learning so my worklog is very inconcistent.

Last edited:
Portables
I got a dimensions question. You mentioned on discord it was about 27mm thick overall? What's the width and height of the rest of the portable?

Portables
it's 140mm tall and 150mm wide, so not quite a square lol
Thanks, maybe I'll have to go take a look at the thickness of my portable walls, I'm sitting at about 155 mm wide by 172mm long and I'm trying to tweak things so my thickness isn't too bad. Currently ball park is 50ish mm but it fits in a 180mm print bed

Portables
Thanks, maybe I'll have to go take a look at the thickness of my portable walls, I'm sitting at about 155 mm wide by 172mm long and I'm trying to tweak things so my thickness isn't too bad. Currently ball park is 50ish mm but it fits in a 180mm print bed
In some cases a square design that is thicker might actually turn out more comfortable than a slimmer one I would think. I may need to add an extra mm or so to account for the PI, I am going to attempt the capacitor method for that and see if it works

Portables
Update!

Good and bad news...

Good news is everything on the ps2 is now fully functioning, bad news is i am scratching my head trying to figure out how to wire my smb pi correctly. It's a pi b+ v1.2 but im sure it would work as I can hook it up to my pc and access the usb over ethernet. I cutt of all the ports and wired it up but OPL does not seem to be able to find it, it gives me 'error 200: Network adapter not found' and freemcboot takes a while to fire up.

Here is the points i have wired to on the ps2, there are 4 dots along these traces that i assume are test points. I have drawn what i assume is where they go, but have no idea as i don't have the pins on my ps2 anymore to varify (hope you don't mind me using your photo as an example, vipe_202).

Inked20210119_211147_LI.jpg

If anyone can confirm I would be eternally grateful!

And here is the pi's wiring, with the 33nf capacitors.
IMG_5078.jpg

Here is a diagram i followed with the capacitors, I have not tried the method with the transformer. I do not have the original pins to know if where i have wired to is correct and i cannot find a clear enough picture of the traces leading to that broadcom chip.

Pi2 to PS2-diagram.png

Anyway here's how things are looking overall, pretty pleased with the look minus the buttons and analog sticks since i haven't gotten around to them yet. Also not sure about the colourful LEDs lol.

IMG_5080.jpg
IMG_5079.jpg

Again, any assistance with smb would be much appreciated. Should be done with this project very soon if so!

Last edited:
Portables
@Gman I don't know if you want to way in on the capacitor method, I know you used it in your ps2 razer

If BigButcher wants to try something else and has the ethernet port still from the pi the transformer in it was my guaranteed way to get the pi smb going, you mentioned using an older pi I would assume the pins would be the same across Pi1 to 3b not 3b+ it had gigabit but there could be a chance of RX and TX being moved on the Pi 1

If you soldered the ethernet to the traces you could always try and solder to the vias those traces go to for the ethernet chip on the ps2, just to double check you got the pins right as well

ethernet pins.jpg

If you go for the transformer method I've attached a pic from where I connected the wires and a diagram, I followed this method as a user Darkwing with his PIIS2 portable had issues with the capacitor method as well.

pi ps2 ethernet connection.png20210207_154710.jpg

I was also under the impression from Darkwing's worklog that the transformer in the ethernet port was necessary for the pi to communicate properly

Looks great so far

Portables
@Gman I don't know if you want to way in on the capacitor method, I know you used it in your ps2 razer

If BigButcher wants to try something else and has the ethernet port still from the pi the transformer in it was my guaranteed way to get the pi smb going, you mentioned using an older pi I would assume the pins would be the same across Pi1 to 3b not 3b+ it had gigabit but there could be a chance of RX and TX being moved on the Pi 1

If you soldered the ethernet to the traces you could always try and solder to the vias those traces go to for the ethernet chip on the ps2, just to double check you got the pins right as well

View attachment 15916

If you go for the transformer method I've attached a pic from where I connected the wires and a diagram, I followed this method as a user Darkwing with his PIIS2 portable had issues with the capacitor method as well.

View attachment 15918View attachment 15919

I was also under the impression from Darkwing's worklog that the transformer in the ethernet port was necessary for the pi to communicate properly

Looks great so far
Thanks for the response, perhaps i will try the transformer method, i had an asumption that maybe the transformer method was for gigabit ethernet but maybe im wrong.

I did try searching for 'ethernet transformer' but had no luck finding anything on ebay, is there something specific i should be looking for?

Thanks again

Portables
Thanks for the response, perhaps i will try the transformer method, i had an asumption that maybe the transformer method was for gigabit ethernet but maybe im wrong.

I did try searching for 'ethernet transformer' but had no luck finding anything on ebay, is there something specific i should be looking for?

Thanks again

No need for eBay, the ethernet port you took off of the pi has the piece in the jack, you'll have to remove the pins and shielding, but that's where I got mine

Portables
No need for eBay, the ethernet port you took off of the pi has the piece in the jack, you'll have to remove the pins and shielding, but that's where I got mine
Ah dang that's long gone haha, threw it out last week! I guess i could always buy another port as long as it's the same type.