Worklog The PiiSP

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
Well now that it is possible, I guess someone has to do it.

Ideally would like to not have to modify the thickness of the PSP case, but I'm not sure if that is possible yet. It will certainly be a tight fit and will probably have a thin ass heatsink. I'm hoping this will be a quick side project with little trouble. Basically just the motherboard work left to do.

Attachments

JacksonS

Portables
I'm guessing you won't try batteries? I bet lithium polymer would work, but the thickness would be huge.

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
How are the buttons held in place? Some sort of 3d printed parts?
Just some scrap plastic pieces super glued together. Then I usually cover everything in epoxy for good measure once it's complete.

I'm guessing you won't try batteries? I bet lithium polymer would work, but the thickness would be huge.
Will be keeping this one a handheld. I tried looking for a decent shaped battery with a decent capacity but couldn't find a setup I was happy with. Anyway, I'm hoping this project will be complete soon as I have other projects I need to start (BitBuilt competition).

Wow, so basically, you're going to take it from "remember that time Ashen shoved a GameCube in a PSP case?" To "Remember that time Gman shoved a Wii inside a PSP case?" Haha, both achievements are/will be awesome, can't wait to see this! Good luck :)

ShockSlayer

the real
Portables
please do not ask!!!! I will NOT respond
oh yeah mr krabs.

NOT THE ABSOLUTE MAXIMUM TRIM THOUGH SO I DON'T ACCEPT IT.

SMALLER DAMN IT

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
Almost fits with a decent heatsink thickness, probably not going to use those small ram heatsinks, I'll build a new one. If I can relocate the tallest components on the screen I might even get it to close without modifying the volume of the PSP. I'm not exactly sure the placement of the SD slot which is why the wires are so long right now, considering switching to a micro SD slot.

Attachments

watsug

Shiiet, thats small. Maybe use a Sony memory stick for storage for the extra psp feel. There's adapters for micro SD card to memory stick so I think they are interchangable.

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
Shiiet, thats small. Maybe use a Sony memory stick for storage for the extra psp feel. There's adapters for micro SD card to memory stick so I think they are interchangable.
I probably only have room to fit the SD card in the middle. The regulators take up room and I still need to put the shoulder buttons in and the audio amp

Last edited:

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
Micro SD slot coming in clutch

Doesn't close all the way? Oh well :) It's better air flow
IMG_20160503_174047481_zpssc7lw6hi.JPG
IMG_20160503_174151694_zpss3xoeibo.JPG

Last edited:

Noah

retired
Portables
"Remember that time ashen put a GameCube in a PSP"

Remember that time Gman put a Wii in a PSP without a custom spacer?

:sexualfelix:

Looks real good, amazing work thus far!

ShockSlayer

the real
Portables
please do not ask!!!! I will NOT respond
ITS NOT A BUG ITS A FEATURE