Worklog The PiiSP

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
I can squeeze it closed and fit a screw in that hole, but it puts too much pressure on the screen and presses the screen buttons down. I'm going to put a small piece of plastic covering the gap and call it done but I'll probably come back to this at some point and figure out the part placement better so I can get it to close easily. The best part about the Wifi is that you can stick the antennas pretty much anywhere and it'll still connect. One is placed under the regulators and the other on top of the motherboard. The PSP nubs don't feel as good as 3DS sliders but I have them wired up straight and with 3.3v and am getting no ghost movements and the range feels normal in gameplay.

Here's a shot of the internals. Not very clean but hey it's a Wii in a PSP.

Attachments

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
What regulators did you use? They don't look like the regular TI's or is it just the angle?
They are upside down PTH08080 and PTR08100. Only need two for the Wii ;) You can actually use just two PTH08080s, they are cheaper.

Also, now that the Wifi is killed, I am going to be reworking this portable a bit and make it better.

Would one of those PTH08080s be outputting 1.1v? And could you just add a 3rd PTH08080 for USB/Rumble functionality or would a different regulator be more suitable?

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
Would one of those PTH08080s be outputting 1.1v? And could you just add a 3rd PTH08080 for USB/Rumble functionality or would a different regulator be more suitable?
The way I have it setup in this is the PTH08080 is doing 3.3v and the PTR08100 is 1.15v since that regulator can output a higher current for both the voltage lines. However, on my Danse Manatee Wii portable I ran the 1v and 1.15v both off of a single PTH08080 and it works fine. Yes you could use any regulator for 5v really, I think using the PTH08080 is a bit over kill tbh. ShockSlayer pointed out the AMS1117 which is very tiny, cheap and outputs 5v with no additional components required.