The Nintendo Switch... Thoughts?

Portables
3/4
I know all the info hasn't been released about the new Nintendo Switch yet but haven't seen anyone mention it anywhere yet so I figured I would see what the community thinks. A portable/console system that is cartridge based again.

Personally I'm not sure if it will be a success or a fail on Nintendo's part but I know I can't wait to learn more about it. It won't stop me from making older systems portable but it is a really cool idea IMO. The biggest problem I see so far are batteries... The system will have one of course but since BOTH sides detach and become a separate set of controllers they will both need batteries too. More to charge and replace later...

Others have tried in the past, like Sony and their hybrid phone/controller but that was a fail big time. What do you guys think?

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
I hope the controllers are charged when they are attached to the side of the screen thingy. Besides that, I hope to get one when it comes out, and I have money to buy it :P

I like the concept. But I don't like how it uses cartridges, or not backwards compatible with Wii U games, or isn't able to play 3DS games (since it has cartridge slot, why not?), but I'll probably end up buying one anyways.

Noah

retired
Portables
Wii U games, or isn't able to play 3DS games (since it has cartridge slot, why not?), but I'll probably end up buying one anyways.
I mean it's not the like Wii U had stellar titles anyways. 3DS is different architecture so it wouldn't be compatible anyways. Closest they could get is emulation and if there is only going to be one screen I wouldn't want it anyways personally.

I like the idea of the switch. With the hardware it's going to have it seems like Nintendo finally might be approaching the same level as Sony/Microsoft in terms of power (lol except Scorpio) but they're still taking things in a different direction.

I personally hate the home consoles that just pump out lesser versions of PC games, hence the reason I don't own one. Nintendo has always had exclusives obviously and proprietary games which is why I continue to own their system. The Switch isn't looking like it'll be any different.

fibbef

Wizardry V Completer
I'm super excited for the Switch, partially due to having current gen (I'm hesitant to say next-gen) games on a handheld. As far as I know, Skyrim hasn't been 100% confirmed, but if it's a launch title then I might have to buy another copy. I love that the "wings" of the controller can also double as mini controllers for 2-player action. That in itself is one of the features I'm most excited about.

Aside from my 3DS, I've never been a day 1 adopter, but I'm seriously considering it with the Switch.
Others have tried in the past, like Sony and their hybrid phone/controller but that was a fail big time.
Ay man, I'm on my second Playstation phone. Best damn phone in the world! Every time someone sees me playing SNES games on it they think it's awesome, so I'm sure it was just a failure of market awareness.
I personally hate the home consoles that just pump out lesser versions of PC games
Word. Then your only justification for choosing between Sony and Microsoft is the exclusives.

Luke

Portables
I'm definitely excited about it, but hopefully they finally get third party support like they claim they will. But Noah has a bit of the point, a lot of the major third party titles that aren't made for Nintendo can easily be played on PC anyway.

Super Mario 3d world, Mario Kart, Mario Maker, Smash Bros, Skyward Sword, and more were great titles on the wii u and would be a shame if they couldn't be ported.

IMO, the switch is pretty much exactly what the wii u SHOULD have been, and probably would have been if the technology was all there at the time. I'll definitely be getting one.

fibbef

Wizardry V Completer
Super Mario 3d world, Mario Kart, Mario Maker, Smash Bros, Skyward Sword, and more were great titles on the wii u and would be a shame if they couldn't be ported.
While it would be nice to get ports of those, I'm getting a bit tired of ports of older games and "HD remasters" when developers could be spending their time on newer games. I'm gonna make an exception for the FFVII remake.
IMO, the switch is pretty much exactly what the wii u SHOULD have been

Luke

Portables
While it would be nice to get ports of those, I'm getting a bit tired of ports of older games and "HD remasters" when developers could be spending their time on newer games.
Agreed, 100%. It is an ABOMINATION that Nintendo does that in the place of creating new content. The hope is that porting wouldn't use up all the resources. For me, Mario Maker is a must, I absolutely love that game. I'll get the Switch either way, but it'll be annoying to have to keep my wii u around.

Madmorda

Painting Queen
Portables
I'm excited for the switch, but I never get the launch model of anything, but I'll definitely get one at some point.

My main thought is, what will slimmed down game consoles do to us modders? I mean, we will be able to softmod it I'm sure, but it's not like we can portablize a portable. For example, look at the ds lite. The only mod I've ever seen for it is removing the top screen, which actually removes ds game functionality instead of adding to it (unless it was broken previously). Although it is a great mod if you have one with a bum screen.

In particular, Nintendo handheld consoles tend not to be very trimmable. So my worry is that when the wii u and nx are both considered retro, I will need to find a new obsession :P

Noah

retired
Portables
For example, look at the ds lite. The only mod I've ever seen for it is removing the top screen, which actually removes ds game functionality instead of adding to it (unless it was broken previously). Although it is a great mod if you have one with a bum screen.
The thing is that consoles like the DS lite don't really have that much to modify. Obviously things like capture cards and controller mods (like the GC controller thing for 3DS) can be done but past that there isn't much of a point because homebrew and loading games was solved with flash carts.

I think it might be similar once people create a flash cart for the NX but I guess we'll have to see.

Madmorda

Painting Queen
Portables
The thing is that consoles like the DS lite don't really have that much to modify. Obviously things like capture cards and controller mods (like the GC controller thing for 3DS) can be done but past that there isn't much of a point because homebrew and loading games was solved with flash carts.

I think it might be similar once people create a flash cart for the NX but I guess we'll have to see.
I guess what I was trying to say was more that the nx and probably most future consoles can't be portablized, although I didn't explain that very well :P I didn't mean necessarily modding for the purpose of homebrew etc, but rather physical or cosmetic type mods. I'm thinking that the nx (it's hard to call it the switch haha) can't be changed much in that way because of the way the controllers slide into it as well as the compactness of the console. There's just no wiggle room, kind of like the ds lite. It just won't get much smaller. As opposed to a wii or gc I mean.

Acronell

Aquafam
Capital District, New York, United States
Honestly I am hoping for a new version of Super Mario All Stars, which would include the original NES and arcade games, as well as the SNES titles, N64, and GameCube at the least, would prefer the Wii titles as well with a controller scheme instead of Wii motion control.

Call it the Super Mario Gallery, include all Mario based games, except for the games that absolutely required the use of the touch screen, make sure to adapt for a working controller scheme for the Switch, and sell it for a mint on it's own in a "Special Edition" release(never release it alone) and create a Switch bundle that comes with it.

This would be amazing, and is completely doable, if not daunting as a task however

Now that the Treehouse live event has come and passed has anyone else besides myself gotten their Switch preorder in yet?

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
I just hope I can get one in time, my brother got the second to last preorder 15 minutes after his gamestop opened

I preordered mine online. Just check back often and pay for release day delivery. I'll come home from work to it and be on vacation for a whole week following.

Portables
3/4
I don't know, I really REALLY want to preorder but I'm trying to decide if I want to wait the few months and see if a Zelda Collectors Edition comes out, (or just say F it and buy both, lol!!). :D

I just upgraded my 3DS - NES Collectors Edition for my New 3DS LoZ Majora's Mask 3DS. Must say that it was well worth the upgrade, especially the 3D... I can actually use the 3D now!!! :D Got it in "Like New" condition with a Zelda case, (which it is, doesn't look like it was ever touched) so if anyone wants an NES Collectors Edition 3DS let me know, :)

Anyway back on topic, (sorry, just excited to finally get my hands on that 3DS). I'm a sucker for Zelda stuff so I guess I will have to preorder and then when the collectors edition come out buy that too... :)

Doom

Modelrater
Estmemed Member
Portables
Always 1/2
I don't like how each side of the controller is a different color with the red/blue thing. Hopefully it's just to demonstrate weird games like that 1-2-Switch but now all the in store "coming soon" displays and advertisements have it shown that way.

fibbef

Wizardry V Completer
I have a feeling that's how they're going to do it, @Doom. At the very least, maybe they'll come out with additional colors to make it less awkward looking.

Definitely not preordering here. I want one, don't get me wrong, but I don't have the cash. And as weird as it sounds, I'm most excited for Skyrim even though I already have it on 360. And since it's not a launch title...