Worklog The Nintendo Swiitch - BocuD's first Wii portable

BocuD

Portables
Hey everyone, here i will be posting all of my shitty work on my duct taped together Wii Portable.

BocuD

Portables
This is going to be a really long post so here is a short version:
I want to build a Wii Portable using a L7009 screen and I want it to be like the switch, with a dock and MAYBE wireless controllers. (probably just wiimotes wired up to an analog stick and buttons inside) I have almost everything except for the screen and want to 3D print a case. I hope to finish this build in time for the contest.
I already finished relocating the bluetooth module and will probably trim my wii tomorrow.

Long version:

Okay so after REALLY long I'm finally updating this thread with my actual project. The current plan is to make the nintendo Swiitch, like the idea I posted in the GC+ contest thread. The portable will have an L7009 480p component screen and a dock to charge and use external video. Maybe I can also add detachable wireless controllers (wiimotes with button connectors on the side of them internally wired to the GC+ in the portable), but that is the last priority. I really want to finish this portable in time. Also, if it is available on time I want to use a WiiHUD audio amp from @Aurelio, but I'm not sure since this project will be expensive af (if I count how many Wii's I've already destroyed, and the L7009) I've just finished the bluetooth relocation and already have my GC+, PTH08080's and controls. I will probably use Wii classic controller buttons and sticks. I also have an idea on how to implement the dock connector. I will post pictures later, natively hosted on BitBuilt, of course photobucket ftw. I'm not sure if the U10 is easy or not, but the bluetooth was way easier then I expected and only took me ~25 mins. I will perform the OMGWTF trim and use flat cell batteries, because I currently have a stack of 6 3500mah batteries from a powergorilla with a broken boost circuit. The cells are really small and quite thin for their capacity so it will be perfect for this build. I want to 3D print a case, and then sand and paint it the best I can but I'm not sure how it will turn out. I can always try to frankencase a ZN-45 if I really need to, though this would kinda kill the idea of a thin and light portable.

Pictures coming later

Also, can a mod please move this thread to contest submissions?

Last edited:

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
This sounds very interesting. Remember to post noods at every opportunity!

BocuD

Portables
I'm not very far at all yet, but the bluetooth relocation is working (i cut the traces but can still turn on my wii with a wiimote) so heres a picture of it

It would be really cool to embed the disc drive inside of a dock; would this be possible, though? Can i attach the disc drive to a trimmed wii?

Attachments

Last edited:

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
The trim in the guide has you slice right through the dd traces in like 6 different spots, and half of the traces don't even have vias to solder to, but if you're dedicated enough you _could_ put one in... I'd just put some kind of usb drive loader in the dock instead :P

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
I'm not very far at all yet, but the bluetooth relocation is working (i cut the traces but can still turn on my wii with a wiimote) so heres a picture of it

It would be really cool to embed te disc drive inside of a dock; would this be possible, though? Can i attach the disc drive to a trimmed wii?
Is the bt still plugged into the slot?

BocuD

Portables
Turning the Wii on is actually done with another pin, but if you can connect your remote after then the relocation worked fine.
Yeah i can connect the remote so i'm happy
Btw heres a picture of the battery (still half assembled but wathever). Each pack of 2 cells measures around 4.4v. Is that still alive, or should i buy new ones? Wiimote for scale

Edit: added picture

Attachments

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
4.4v is a tad above the normal 4.2v a protection circuit should allow.

BocuD

Portables
That is not what i meant, there are 2 batteries in series, connected to each other and that is measuring 4.2 volts. That would mean 2.1 volts per cell. Is this acceptable?

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
Measure each cell individually, I'd say toss it if any of the cells are below 3.0v. That's basically the minimum I would suggest, and if they're below that, that cell is almost certainly damaged.

That looks like a 3S2P pack ((11.1v nominal) for a total of 6 cells) which would mean each section would be 2 batteries in parallel, keeping the voltage as if it were 1 battery, but doubling the mAh. That said it's hard to gauge the pack with the angle given.

If a paralleled pack reads 4.2v it's fine.

Last edited:

BocuD

Portables
I'll try to desolder the cells and measure them individually then, because these are some nice cells (if they aren't damaged). 4 cells would be ~51 wh if not damaged, so I really want to use them.

BocuD

Portables
Heres an update:
I started assembling the regulators and just finished with the 1v and 1.15v regs. The 3.3v regulator however... i think i killed it. I shall now bid to the bitbuilt gods and hope they will be able to help me fix it.. this is a picture of the dead reg:
image.jpg

Heres all four of them:
image.jpg

I used a resistor in combination with a potentiometer to be able to adjust the voltage later on. Thought it might come in handy. Also, i will just use a 7805 for the 5 v regulator. It is way cheaper then a pth08080wah.
I think my iron is just too big and that i knocked off some surface mount resistors, but im not sure.
Iron for scale:
image.jpg

Now that i notice how big the iron is, im asking myself how the heck i was able to relocate bluetooth. Whatever, it works.
Also, i remeasured my cells, and they are all 4.3v, so they must be fine then.

BocuD

Portables
Well shit... do you have any idea of how to fix it?

GingerOfOz

no wario
Staff member
2020 2nd Place Winner
2022 3rd Place Winner
Portables
just so many i am so cool
Desolder it and resolder it so that your wire and the solder are only touching the pad. If your solder spreads and makes a connection with other shiny components on the PTH, then it will cause a short.

BocuD

Portables
Okay... I just noticed something else. I have your short in blue, but it looks like I also removed some surface mount resistors... Thats gonna be a new regulator, I guess.
lel.png

GingerOfOz

no wario
Staff member
2020 2nd Place Winner
2022 3rd Place Winner
Portables
just so many i am so cool
Ouch. I'd still try to fix the short and see if that revives it. You should probably get a better iron tip if that's what knocked them off. You should probably get one anyways, as a narrow tip will make soldering to the little things a LOT easier.