The Nintendo FakeCube

GingerOfOz

no wario
Staff member
2020 2nd Place Winner
2022 3rd Place Winner
Portables
just so many i am so cool
"Nintendo FakeCube" is a terrible name because this thing wasn't made by Nintendo and it isn't fake, but it's what I've been calling it for the last six months and the name has just kinda stuck.

Meet my new baby:
20220312_104558.jpg

20220311_212443.jpg

20220311_212138.jpg

20220311_212511.jpg

20220312_104804.jpg

20211206_180410.jpg

Features:
  • 480p 5" display through VGA
  • USB-C charging and data transfer through PMS 2.0 and PD 2.0
  • A massive 1 hour and 20 minutes of battery life with two 2000mah lipos
  • Volume slider through the U-Amp 2.0
  • Custom resin cast buttons on everything
  • A disc slot that discs can sit in and do nothing
  • It plays Wii games too (top secret, do not share)
20220312_114422.jpg

This thing is far from the best portable I've ever made in terms of usability, but the goal was to make it look wicked cool and be a pretty shelf piece.

I didn't do a good worklog for this project, so here's some progress pics that I took along the way
The first iteration of the case. The final case was printed and painted by PCBWay. It looks sick in pictures, but the glossy black parts smudge and scratch like crazy, would recommend matte black for anyone who goes the painting route.
firstroughcase.jpg

Needed a pretty tight LMAO trim to fit in the case.
wii trim.jpg

It took three hours to sand and polish all the 3D buttons to then make my molds.
gcbuttons.jpg

First layer of the bottom half
bhassemble.jpg

Accidentally cracked one of the screen pieces like a moron. Don't use flush cutters on a resin printed piece, you're playing with fire if you do.
20211120_145308.jpg

Funny disc slot in action
bottomhalf.jpg

And here's a video of the project. I managed to get ahold of the guy that made the original render for this guy, so the full story of it is here:

This project was a ton of fun. I'm hoping that this will be the first year that I build more than one new portable, stay tuned for those!

Attachments

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
It's beautiful. The black nylon and natural grey nylon sls from jlcpcb might be a good option at keeping close to the original scheme while having the case more durable if you make another version. If you disregarded the cd slide in, could you fit a larger battery?

GingerOfOz

no wario
Staff member
2020 2nd Place Winner
2022 3rd Place Winner
Portables
It's beautiful. The black nylon and natural grey nylon sls from jlcpcb might be a good option at keeping close to the original scheme while having the case more durable if you make another version. If you disregarded the cd slide in, could you fit a larger battery?
Maybe if the perfectly sized lipo exists. The problem is that most lipos are too big to able to stack two of them on top of each other, and the ones that are thin enough to stack two tall in the case are all too wide and would get in the way of the Wii/power boards.

Portables
e^(i x π) + 0!
This is a work of art. This was the console of my dreams back then! It's amazing that it's finally a reality

Incredible work! The real thing has surpassed the render IMO. In the video you show the GameCube startup video, do you have a custom RVLoader running?

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
IT'S REAL AT LAST! All hail the WAH!

GingerOfOz

no wario
Staff member
2020 2nd Place Winner
2022 3rd Place Winner
Portables
Incredible work! The real thing has surpassed the render IMO. In the video you show the GameCube startup video, do you have a custom RVLoader running?
Nah, I just ran a .thp file and cut the video to make it look like it's a boot video.

Your skills are really incredible from your video editing/entertaining videos to engineering the portable itself. Really impressive!

dababy

amazing work this is one of the most beautiful portables ive seen