The Modular N64

Hi guys, i made this 2 years ago but long story short, here it is ;) :
I had this idea to create something that can be easy improved, without the need to redesign the whole thing so the modular n64 was born, it has removable joysticks (they can be changed, can accept later functions, can share functions between eachother) - for example the right controller had at first a lousy amp, a simple battery indicator and a headphone jack located on the bottom but later i changed it to show battery level in volts with low voltage alarm, better audio amp and headphone jack located on the side for better grip.
20200424_215534.jpg
20200424_215534.jpg

For supply i use a removable aluminium powerbank (easy to charge ,dissipates heat and provides 5v already) The lcd is also removable , the one in the pics is 16:9 with low power consumption but i also have a 4:3 (ish) pro lcd that has outstanding quality but higher consumption, you can see more of it in action here: (video made 2 years ago.my first so bare with me) :
Left controller has a arduino inside to emulate mouse-scroll of the stick and it has 3 modes that can be activated at boot: if you move the analog up it will have a "crispy" response, if you don't touch it it will be in linear mode and if you press down it will be more forgiving, to scroll menus etc.20200422_151001.jpg
20200422_151001.jpg

The pcb was made entirely manual (hand-drawn , etched coated etc) and is fitted with connectors all-around for easy disassembly / repair , as you can see in this recent video : (disassembly starts at 3:00)
Initially i put a connector for a tiny memorycard but i ended up not using it, even if the traces are all in place, just didn't have the time nor motivation, the games that i enjoy playing on it save on the cartridge.

For me the size is just perfect ,it has a good feel in hand , doesn't heat up too much but still, my next portable will be a tad smaller although will have the same display size as i find 3.5'' too small for my aging eyes. Thank you all that made this community great , i always find great resources in here and thanks to Shank that got me to finally sign up ;)

Attachments

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
Hey thats awesome! I remember seeing this video when it came out, glad you could join!

Miceeno

2020 3rd Place Winner
Portables
That's epic! I did PCB etching in a shop class in middle school and it turned out badly. It's so cool to get such good results at home.