The Mithzan 64 by Downing

Downing

Basement Owner
Portables
20ish...
Hey guys,

I know it's been a long time since I posted anything here and truth be told, the time to do projects and work logs are just not there, so here is a quick synopsis of my latest completed project.

Just like the Hesline, this is an N64 portable but NTSC instead of PAL. It's got virtually the same specs and component list, other than the fact this was mostly 3D printed using my new SLA Form 2 3D printer. Thought the learning curve was steep with this one and the amount of problems I had trying to make it all work were a royal PITA, this is certainly one of my better works and I'm excited to see where this might lead, given who this was made for!

Hope you enjoy!

The power and detail of the Form 2! Though I'll never again use it for a system enclosure.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
The future is here. And it is good!

Madmorda

Painting Queen
Portables
Mind if I ask what program you used to make those supports? I've been using Cura to slice and Meshmixer on the rare occasions I need supports, but yours look way different (nicer) than what I've seen from Meshmixer.

Downing

Basement Owner
Portables
20ish...
Mind if I ask what program you used to make those supports? I've been using Cura to slice and Meshmixer on the rare occasions I need supports, but yours look way different (nicer) than what I've seen from Meshmixer.
It's part of the Formlabs software and it does it automatically. SLA printers print upside down and on an angle so that how they support the piece as it prints. Unique, effective but wasteful of the super expensive resin.

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
It's part of the Formlabs software and it does it automatically. SLA printers print upside down and on an angle so that how they support the piece as it prints. Unique, effective but wasteful of the super expensive resin.
Was wondering why you have it on an angle like that, is it necessary, or could you set the angle to like 0 degrees or something like that?

Downing

Basement Owner
Portables
20ish...
Was wondering why you have it on an angle like that, is it necessary, or could you set the angle to like 0 degrees or something like that?
It's much better on an angle in this case. You can print at a direct 90 degree if you wanted like a standard FDM, but SLA is a completely different process.

The big reason why this is so beneficial though is because SLA uses a UV laser to cure the resin and as such, there are no big motors or extruder heads moving around to cause friction against the work piece. This allows for exceptional detail and like the old saying goes, "less is more", a smaller layer yields a more precise result. When you put it at an angle like it does, it creates a very small area that needs to be printed at one time. It means more layers but much smaller and tighter than any FDM printer could accomplish.

Portables
Lol!
It's much better on an angle in this case. You can print at a direct 90 degree if you wanted like a standard FDM, but SLA is a completely different process.

The big reason why this is so beneficial though is because SLA uses a UV laser to cure the resin and as such, there are no big motors or extruder heads moving around to cause friction against the work piece. This allows for exceptional detail and like the old saying goes, "less is more", a smaller layer yields a more precise result. When you put it at an angle like it does, it creates a very small area that needs to be printed at one time. It means more layers but much smaller and tighter than any FDM printer could accomplish.
Sounds like interesting stuff! Maybe one day I'll get into 3D printing when I have more money in the bank...

Very nice job. I always wanted to get myself a 3d printer and everyday it seems I'm given another reason to have one.

I also wanted to point out that you were featured on hackaday.

Downing

Basement Owner
Portables
20ish...
So this is really why I keep making these. Yes, thank you @Matando, it's always cool that Hack-A-Day shows me love on so many of my projects, but the real kicker is when a customer is as happy with the end product as this guy was!

It's such a great feeling to have people as happy as this guy with the work I provide for them and even though this project was a nightmare to get finished, it's gratitude like this that keeps me going!

fibbef

Wizardry V Completer
Can't say I'm up to speed on YouTube personalities, but it's a fine looking portable and I'm glad the guy is as happy as he is!

I can't help but comment on the video:
"Even the original Zelda games, like Ocarina of Time..."
"It's the original cartridge!" Ah yes, when all N64 game carts were made out of red plastic before the limited edition gray carts came out.

Sorry, couldn't help myself. :D

After all that work, did you cringe when he blew into the cart slot?

Downing

Basement Owner
Portables
20ish...
Haha, he's a good guy and his carts were original, the red shells he got after market with full plastic enclosures and art. Pretty cool actually! Truth be told, the cart slot I used on this was pretty used and blowing really is needed on some games! haha