Worklog The littleBIG Boy

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
You can always come over ;):D
It seems my display driver is not saving its source anymore. Any idea why this happened? And how to fix it?:blush:
Hmm that’s very weird. Could it be caused by some powerlines glitches? I am asking since you relocated the inductors on the lcd driver board

Hmm that’s very weird. Could it be caused by some powerlines glitches? I am asking since you relocated the inductors on the lcd driver board
I'll look into this later today. Thank you;)
When I remember correctly there were no issues at first after the trim. I was thinking about a short on the bottom side of the board, caused by the LCD metal plate. Maybe the frame is too thin there. :rothink:

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
I'll look into this later today. Thank you;)
When I remember correctly there were no issues at first after the trim. I was thinking about a short on the bottom side of the board, caused by the LCD metal plate. Maybe the frame is too thin there. :rothink:
If that’s the case then just put a layer of kapton tape :D

I still have this problem with the input . Although it worked once today and kept the VGA input. (I really have no idea why this problem exists)
Nonetheless I wired up the USB port.
A2F9CD3D-AC33-4C23-851B-933513828CC4.jpeg

At startup I need to pull one trigger for the screen to change to VGA... I could just build an electric trigger for that. What do you think?

Portables
sin^2(x) + cos^2(x) +e^(i*pi)
I think Bocud had the same problem at some point(granted different driver and screen), he trimmed his board, but it would keep on going to AV, when he wanted to go to HDMI, a pullup that got cut off fixed it

I think Bocud had the same problem at some point(granted different driver and screen), he trimmed his board, but it would keep on going to AV, when he wanted to go to HDMI, a pullup that got cut off fixed it
Ah ok. Thank you for the help. I think that might be the problem here... But I don't know where to put the pullup in :?:. I had an issue with one resistor of the source pin. I resoldered it yesterday, but no change. I'll try to find some scans of the board. (I made pictures before trimming, but I lost them somehow:facepalm:)

A tiny little bit on the connectors of the VGA port. But I did not cut any important traces with this o.O
34F188A4-C98B-4B0D-9E24-E5A75D0DC55E.jpeg

It is working!!
I had the honor to look at a blueprint of the board and I saw that I forgot to resolder one line :facepalm::blush:
D024A61C-146E-40D1-80E8-FF2EBA097D9A.jpeg

Last edited:
Hey guys,
Today I'm going on vacation with my wife and in the past few days I haven't had the time to work much on my portable. But I have everything I need in place and just wanted to show you, that I managed to keep the system at ~17mm height.
7D1A7400-F8DD-495B-98E2-C8AEB0AF74E4.jpeg

See you in about two weeks ;)

I've been following some of your work in the dark>:D Excellent job making it so thin. The simplicity of the internal design is a force to be reckoned with. I look forward to seeing the completed results.

Good evening guys (here in Germany at least),
I have a small but imo very nice update for you. With a lot of frustration, wall kicking and a bunch of help from Aurelio (I know why I'm supporting him on patreon!) I've/we've come very close to finishing the littleBIG Boy.
A short video of it in action:

Whats missing?
- The frontglass of course
- The headphone jack doesn't work atm... Have to replace it
- The fan is spinning too fast and is clearly noticable. I'll have to reduce the voltage while not overheating this whole thing

And thats it. I'll probably start doing so by tomorrow. But we'll see.

PS: Sadly not every game boots on my system atm. Some just give me the 'black screen attitude':eyeroll:

Last edited:
Well, the front glass is finished... Somehow. But I'm not quite happy with the result, so I'll try to replace it with some tempered glass instead. Just have to wait for a confirmation that it works :blush:
But that will be the final look of this thing (mostly, because the "glass" doesn't fit in perfectly)
1844957B-443F-4D15-BA08-A2B72757F7FE.jpeg

I'll post some detailed pics later.

Love you guys for your help, the excellent guides and motivation! Without you I wouldn't have made it so far. ;)

BocuD

Portables
Well, the front glass is finished... Somehow. But I'm not quite happy with the result, so I'll try to replace it with some tempered glass instead. Just have to wait for a confirmation that it works :blush:
But that will be the final look of this thing (mostly, because the "glass" doesn't fit in perfectly)
View attachment 7422

I'll post some detailed pics later.

Love you guys for your help, the excellent guides and motivation! Without you I wouldn't have made it so far. ;)
How do you even make this 'glass' stuff? It looks OEM except for those scratches lol.. damn

It’s most likely plexiglass with the back parts painted at the sides. I’ve used this method a few times too however plexiglass is prone to scratch easily. Also if you use thin plexiglass then it will bend and touch the actual screen when you want to clean the surface. Unless you used something else...?

Are you getting the tempered glass custom made? In my research it seems to be a little expensive to get it with a custom size and painted/printed around the sides.

How do you even make this 'glass' stuff? It looks OEM except for those scratches lol.. damn
It’s most likely plexiglass with the back parts painted at the sides. I’ve used this method a few times too however plexiglass is prone to scratch easily. Also if you use thin plexiglass then it will bend and touch the actual screen when you want to clean the surface. Unless you used something else...?

Are you getting the tempered glass custom made? In my research it seems to be a little expensive to get it with a custom size and painted/printed around the sides.
I made a tutorial for you ;)
https://bitbuilt.net/forums/index.php?threads/bezel-around-the-display.2381/