Worklog The littleBIG Boy

Thank you for your support:)
I finally decided for a name and change the title accordingly.
Hope to get some more things done in the next days.

This name is fancy, isn't it? There is nothing printed yet, maybe I'll 'adjust' it a bit xD.

Last edited:
I finally finished the design of the case. All thats left is the printing and bringing everything together ;)

fin1.png
fin2.png
fin3.png
fin4.png

I want to print it in transparent blue (PETG / HD-Glass). Not sure though if it will be sturdy enough... I'll give it a shot. If it doesn't work I'll let you know.
In the meantime anyone that has more experience with HD-Glass than I do can share his wisdom with me :D

I hope I don't have to make any major changes to the design. I printed most of the parts for testing purposes and it should be fine. Nontheless, I know myself xD

Wish me luck

Last edited:

Frigid

Everything here is looking really nice, and I'm very much enjoying your progress with this whole super-slim design. I was planning on trying to figure out something similar for the cooling system in my first custom portable, but I'm a ways off of that.
However, one probably very dumb question, what's the fifth face button for? Is it a start/select or am I missing something?

F8CF6036-92D9-4693-B09A-08270F851BF3.jpeg

You mean that one? Yes, it is a start button. For some emulators I would map the Z-button as select.
Thank you for your compliment. :)

First part printed. But it didn't turn out good... Need to change some settings for the printer (skirt for example).
Still, the effect is nice imo. You can see it in the following pictures. Sadly I am not able to capture the whole effect with a camera :|

The most obvious thing is the broken parts. but it also warped a bit on the other side.
IMG_3846.jpg

I put the case on my laptop screen to show the transparency. But I had to edit it so nobody gets cancer in the eyes :eyeroll:. The original is in the middle though.
Bild1.png

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
Looks very neat. Although I am wondering, why haven't you printed it from the bottom side? (Like with the faceplate touching your printbed)

Because the quality of the first layer is never as good as of the last layer. Most of the time you get this ugly wrinkles (on larger prints), and the curvature on the sides looks messy when printed upside down.
The support feature works very good with my prints and support is very lightweight. The only downside is the printspeed, but I'm willing to wait a bit longer for the amount of quality I get on the outside of my case :)

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
Because the quality of the first layer is never as good as of the last layer. Most of the time you get this ugly wrinkles (on larger prints), and the curvature on the sides looks messy when printed upside down.
The support feature works very good with my prints and support is very lightweight. The only downside is the printspeed, but I'm willing to wait a bit longer for the amount of quality I get on the outside of my case :)
With my prints I actually get better results on the first layer :D

:D
Maybe it depends on the printer. My test prints are printed face down. Maybe I need to tweak the settings more, but with large prints I always had this issue

BocuD

Portables
Maybe printing face down with a raft helps? I did that at some point for my first wiip..

Maybe printing face down with a raft helps? I did that at some point for my first wiip..
That is a very good idea o.O
I think that would help a lot. Why didn't I think about this?? xD
One problem is remaining, the curvature. To show you what I mean:
74CF5901-CFF3-4EA5-A42F-E6B6C5099541.jpeg ED86338D-E489-4242-BAF9-45670DB68BA8.jpeg
The left one is printed the way I print them now. The right one is a test print upside down.

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
That is a very good idea o.O
I think that would help a lot. Why didn't I think about this?? xD
One problem is remaining, the curvature. To show you what I mean:
View attachment 7260 View attachment 7261
The left one is printed the way I print them now. The right one is a test print upside down.
Did you use support? Also some sanding will help smooth out those edges

Nold

real emulation, no hardware
Staff member
2021 1st Place Winner
Portables
5 + 1*π
With my prints I actually get better results on the first layer :D
Same for me & i also have a MK2S - so no excuses @Predue89 ;-)

Maybe you should trim the Z-Offset just a little lower? And yea, support helps with those fillets.
I wouldn't use a raft, as it will completely destroy the benefit of the smooth printbed.

Have you uploaded your models to Shapeways and see how much they are gonna charge? If you havent yet, you might find it's suprisingly reasonable considering all the time and effort it will save you post printing. All you'd have to do is a little sanding, and you'll end up with a fantastic looking print. Can even do your buttons too. For a portable as sexy as this, I'd give it at least a quick look.

Ok ok, I will try to print them upside down :P. I already have the material so I can just try it out.
Did you use support?
I did not tbh. At least not for the test prints. But I will change that.
I wouldn't use a raft
I'll try it with and without. My printbed is not 100% flat, what makes it difficult for me to get good results without a raft (I think). But we'll see ;).
Have you uploaded your models to Shapeways and see how much they are gonna charge?
I gave it a shot and it is way to expensive. Minimum was about 55€ and the option I was interested in was around 230€.

Ok Guys, the print with a raft is a no go for me. Not only did it take a long time to finish, the result is not ok. It is even, but see it for yourself:
4769FCB1-5751-4603-A1D5-E968E0501381.jpeg

The filling was nice though with some support. I set it to 0.1mm apart from the outline and that looks good.
53FDFE0F-AF48-4764-87E0-21F660AA05AE.jpeg

Whatever. I'm printing it without a raft atm. I think I set the height right, so that I won't get any artefacts.

I'll keep you updated

So I printed the back for a second time, as I said without a raft.
Turned out way better :)
After an hour of sanding and cutting little blobs off of the part I think I will use this. You can still see the wrinkled lines on the upper side... Maybe I will sand it some more :eyeroll:

Long story short, here are two pics:
C54826AF-E566-43D3-9472-F41ECAC8D4C0.jpeg
B711CD78-0EFD-4B2A-9BDA-BFF35CB921E8.jpeg

The fillet looks good, same as in the first print with the raft.

Edit: I forgot to show you both parts together ._.'
5A855275-5AF4-4ED4-86D5-44B4A426E2A5.jpeg
E969675F-A3F3-4E6A-80A4-6D7BA2853C1D.jpeg

Last edited: