Worklog The littleBIG Boy

Hey guys. I don't have much time, but I wanted to share some pictures with you. Working on a very thin portable. (I know it will be thicker than in the pictures, but I'll keep it as thin as possible):

IMG_2983.JPG
IMG_2984.JPG
IMG_2985.JPG

It has a 7" screen btw. I'll keep you updated!

Edit: I plan to keep this under 17mm thickness.

Last edited:
The heatsink is from a Lenovo Yoga 2 and the fan is from an Acer Aspire S7. Both ultrabooks.

I'm happy I got to work on this project this weekend, although it wasn't so much... So I got the display working :D
IMG_3006.JPG
IMG_3007.JPG

I soldered two connectors together. Sadly I can not shorten the ribbon cable from the screen.
IMG_3008.JPG

My 3d-printer broke ._.' ... Hopefully the parts I ordered will arrive soon.

Edit: And yes, I had to fold the cable like this xD

I will build the insides of the portable on top of the screen. So I started to design some kind of an (please insert word here:facepalm:) 'object' to hold the necessary parts in place. This looks somehow satisfying to me :D
IMG_3024.JPG
IMG_3025.JPG
IMG_3026.JPG

It is far away from being complete, but I had to check if my measurements were correct. As you can see my 3d-printer is working again;)

Some information about this portable:
It will not have an integrated accu.
It will (perhaps) have a wireless second controller.
Switch-joysticks
and a lot of other stuff probably :)

Small update:
Vorschau.JPG

I got some work done with the frame. Still not finished ;)
I had to pull the mainboard up a bit (1.5mm). The support for the mainboard looks so strange because of the SMD parts on it :eyeroll:. The height of the air duct is 4.6mm.

I am happy with it so far :)

Another small update: I got to print this frame. Finally... My printer kind of broke today ._.
IMG_3045.JPG
IMG_3046.JPG
IMG_3047.JPG
IMG_3048.JPG

The print quality doesn't look so good, I need to tune the whole thing first. But for now everything seems to fit quite nicely.
I am currently at 12mm hight (about 0.5").

Btw: Is it ok if I post the pictures full sized? Or should I rather put the thumbnails in?

Portables
Ahh cool! I looked into ultra book/tablet solutions but PS2 layout is very different. This looks slick AF.

Another update. There is so mch to do atm that I barely have time for the project :(
But today I got some work on the design done. I wanted to make something a bit more fancy, but somehow I like this plain design.
Case.JPG
Case2.JPG

This is in the early stages, I know. But since I haven't got any updates lately, I thought I might just share it with you :)

Small update:
Case3.JPG

Fits perfectly.

Last edited:
Damnn, seeing the case now it's going to be super slim. What's the height of the entire case?

Sadly this device will not have included batteries. I plan on doing this in the future again, but for now it will be powered from an external battery.
If I'd be able to use the PowerMii I could built a portable 3mm thicker with an integrated battery.
The challenge for me although is to build (my) thinnest possible portable. :)

Portables
Ahh, you and I are aiming for the same thing. Nice work, love the layout. You thought of doing a custom PCB to drive the screen to save space?