Worklog The LIGHTNiiNG - BLOCKED

Are you going to build in things like the RVL-PMS and/or the mx chip into this board? You could probably integrate that while still being about the size or smaller than a trimmed wii
The goal is to use all the necessary components of the Wii, including the MX chip and bluetooth. Necessary boards like U Amp, GC + ...
will also be included. Just one circuit board with everything on it.

The goal is to use all the necessary components of the Wii, including the MX chip and bluetooth. Necessary boards like U Amp, GC + ... will also be included.
Just one circuit board with everything on it
Oh cool! So you are planning to make this an all inclusive board? Taking Wii streamlining to the next level I see

YveltalGriffin

First Wii U Trimmer
Portables
Cool to see other people trying this! I designed a similar prototype PCB but I haven't ordered it yet. Still need to pick up some of the reball equipment as well.

vegas.PNG

Maybe we can compare notes on the layout & impedances, if you've looked into that? I think I've figured out some options to get the GDDR3 impedance somewhat close to the original using JLC's 2313 stackup (and some possible tweaks in case it acts up) but maybe if we put our heads together we can improve our chances before starting reball and assembly!

Cool to see other people trying this! I designed a similar prototype PCB but I haven't ordered it yet. Still need to pick up some of the reball equipment as well.

View attachment 21224

Maybe we can compare notes on the layout & impedances, if you've looked into that? I think I've figured out some options to get the GDDR3 impedance somewhat close to the original using JLC's 2313 stackup (and some possible tweaks in case it acts up) but maybe if we put our heads together we can improve our chances before starting reball and assembly!
Wow amazing job.
I would say it would be a pleasure to compare our projects. But I'll tell you right away that I'm basically new to the world of electronics, so many of the things you tell me I'll struggle to understand immediately what they are:XD:

All of this looks really cool, but with all of the special tools required to make this, it won't be very assessable to many users. Will you take commission?

All of this looks really cool, but with all of the special tools required to make this, it won't be very assessable to many users. Will you take commission?
Obviously something like this is quite difficult to realize, but if you know what to do or you have good instructions it can be replicated quite “easily”.
Maybe if this project is successful, I could make a guide so that everyone can know what are the tools and skills needed to make a portable like this.

Viilmo

Portables
How small is the board going to be and what size do you hope to reach?

I can't say exactly what the dimensions will be, also because I recently ordered 4layertech PCBs and I have to see how much space they take up. A quick size estimate might be around 17x7.5cm. But remember that these are more or less the dimensions that the prototype would have. The final PCB could be even smaller.
However my main focus for now is not the size, but to have a PCB that works without problems

What are the dimensions of an omega trim? I'm curious to see how this will compare.

So, I made some really good progress. :D
Worklog 7.png

Obviously I haven't finished recreating the Wii circuit yet, but I managed to finish the front and rear connections between GPU, CPU and RAM, which were the most difficult of all (hoping they are right and do not give problems:XD:).
Worklog 8.png
Worklog 9 .png

Now all the rest is missing but I will try to finish as soon as possible.

Viilmo

Portables
Just a suggestion but you could make it easier connecting hsync and vsnyc similar to how you did it for the bt module. That would make wiring way easier.

Last edited: