Worklog The LIGHTNiiNG - BLOCKED

Hello,
here is a small update of my project. First I came up with a new name for my portable, then lately I've been working to reproduce the Wii circuit board (the trimmed one), so that i can understand easily where I can remove more material. Here is a little example of what I'm doing.

wiil6.png

I'm using a program called Sprint Layout, and it allows me to recreate circuit boards by simply drawing it on the image of the board. This program also allows me to know exactly what each track is connected to by clicking on it.

When I get the chance, I will also upload the Sprint Layout file here, so that anyone can use it and work easily on the Wii circuit board.
That's it for now, see you soon ;);)

I am using the compedium as a reference to create the file on sprint layout. The advantage is that it is even easier and faster to understand what the various tracks are.

Immagine 2022-02-09 202739.png
InkedImmagine 2022-02-09 202824_LI.jpg

I'm making this file also because I need it for my Wii portable project, because I have the goal of making it as slim as possible. Estimated thickness was around 2cm.

How does making this file tie into your portable? Are you trying to advance the trim in some way? What trim will you be using?

I'm not actually going to use any tipe of trim. My project involves a complete relocation of all Wii components, so I will create a custom pcb that will have all the components I need on it

Oh wow, that would be a really amazing. Like the board Gman developed. And I guess this way you could integrate something like the pms into it, but isn't it really hard to relocate chips like CPU and GPU on the Wii?

Yes it’s really hard, but in particupar is very hard to remove them. In fact, the first time I tried to unsolder the GPU, I didn't heat it very well and some pads broke. Now I bought a new Wii and I hope not to break anything

I tried with a heated base, the problem was that I took off the pcb and started removing the GPU too late, and than some pads came off. Next time i think i’m trying to remove everything with a hot air station.

I have removed the Wii's CPU/GPU with a hot air station just fine. I heated from the underside however so the chips didn't take direct heat. That factory solder was pretty tough if I remember correctly...

This is all so exciting... I've been toying with the idea of getting some BGA reballing jigs. I have a trim right now that i suspect has a solder wisker or ball wedged under the top of the GPU creating a 3v3 short. This will likely be my first test subject for reballing... Thanks for the inspiration y'all.

Excited to see this develop.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
I'm not actually going to use any tipe of trim. My project involves a complete relocation of all Wii components, so I will create a custom pcb that will have all the components I need on it
Aurelio was working on this at one point, but afaik he shelved it indefinitely. If you can make this work reliably, you'll earn yourself a wizard hat!

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
It looks like you took quite a lot of shortcuts when routing the high speed traces from the GPU to both the RAM and CPU. This is gonna lead to a lot of issues and it might not even boot at all

It looks like you took quite a lot of shortcuts when routing the high speed traces from the GPU to both the RAM and CPU. This is gonna lead to a lot of issues and it might not even boot at all
The diagram I created is for reference only. When I have to recreate the circuit I will try to replicate the connections as best as possible

Portables
Would love to see a portible made with this then that would be amazing<3 great job so far with your progress

Last edited:
Are you going to build in things like the RVL-PMS and/or the mx chip into this board? You could probably integrate that while still being about the size or smaller than a trimmed wii