Worklog The Kuēsā Computer {Bitbuilt Summer 2018 Contest Entry}

Portables
sin^2(x) + cos^2(x) +e^(i*pi)
Tbuddy’s Kuēsā Computer
(Name still under development, so open to suggestions before it gets concrete)

This is my Bitbuilt 2018 contest entrant.

What it is: It is a SBC(Single Board Computer) I’ve decided to go with an Up board for the Brains of this operation(Thanks Dave <3), mostly because the Most ultimate wii portable with Wiiflow and all controllers has been and I don’t think I could ever compete with it. It’ll be able to emulate some Gamecube games(mostly netplay SsbM), and able to play steam games. Most likely indie’s, but I should be able to play some AAA games as well. This will also be used for computing, CAD, and EDA when “Docked.”(Moar info later)

~Features~
  • 3d printed Case
  • 5” monitor(I might have to switch to a bigger size, because I read something somewhere saying a 5” is too small for some steam games to run properly)
  • Paint job, Waterslides, and maybe some hydro dipping ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
  • 4GB Ram, X5 Intel Atom Processor
  • Emulated 360 controller for controls (Xinput[I think] emulator using micro controller)
  • actual functional touchscreen
  • Around 4 hours battery life(I hope, if not, I’ll make case thiccer for more batteries)
  • Custom Battery solution(Anti-miimbler)
  • Led Eye candy like Nobble
  • No spaget wiring(more of a wish than anything lol)
  • Bt and Wifi
Progress:
I’ve started designing the case, and looking at battery protection Ic’s, and settled on the Up board for brains. (I’ll update later today hopefully with Pictures on my little Progress.)

I plan to do weekly updates, and get it more detailed so people looking into this kind of project have some reference on what to do, and what not to do.

And Good luck to all contestants! :3

*Note: I’ve put the DM-Gii on hold atm to fund this expensive train-wreck.

Portables
Welp, Skip over the next paragraph if ya don't want no mopey shit.

I don't know if i'll finish this in time, I try to keep this stuff out of this place, But the basic jist is I have depression, and living is hard, I've been making small progress, gonna try to set up battery monitoring, but I barely have anything done tbh, I think the Case will probably be Switch theme'd, Maybe base it off of daft mike's design, it'll use a Latte panda for guts, and Teensy and some other stuff for battery monitoring, that's about all I have. But it's hard, every day hurts, I'll get through it though, we all do, but Idk if i'll finish in time though, or anytime soon, I've got more knowledge than skill, so there'll be more set backs than usual. which is why I made this post, if mods think it should be deleted, then sure, Just leave the actual progress in it please.

~Actual progress and no mopey stuff~

I don't have much done, but my battery protection/charging board in, it's the Green one that Minceeno has in his battery thread. I'm gonna try to hook it up to my teensy eventually, Case work isn't done much, Just thoughts mostly, I'll hopefully get on it soon. I'm changing the board to a Latte panda(4GB ram model), because it's cheaper, and uses less Power.

I don't know if i'll finish this in time, I try to keep this stuff out of this place, But the basic jist is I have depression, and living is hard, I've been making small progress, gonna try to set up battery monitoring, but I barely have anything done tbh, I think the Case will probably be Switch theme'd, Maybe base it off of daft mike's design, it'll use a Latte panda for guts, and Teensy and some other stuff for battery monitoring, that's about all I have. But it's hard, every day hurts, I'll get through it though, we all do, but Idk if i'll finish in time though, or anytime soon, I've got more knowledge than skill, so there'll be more set backs than usual. which is why I made this post, if mods think it should be deleted, then sure, Just leave the actual progress in it please.

I don't have much done, but my battery protection/charging board in, it's the Green one that Minceeno has in his battery thread. I'm gonna try to hook it up to my teensy eventually, Case work isn't done much, Just thoughts mostly, I'll hopefully get on it soon. I'm changing the board to a Latte panda(4GB ram model), because it's cheaper, and uses less Power.
It's not a hole, it's a tunnel; things will get better. Keep on keeping on, my dude.

Glad to hear you're making some progress. If you can push yourself to do those things you know you enjoy (like modding) even when you don't feel like doing them, I imagine you'll feel a bit better. PM me if you need someone to talk to.

Hey @DeoNaught,

A fellow depression sufferer here. Just wanted to say that things will get better. Just take things day by day and know that it is ok to have bad days. I hope you have the help and support to get through this. If not try to find some professional help. For me, things started improving when I stopped being stubborn and accepted that I needed help to get through this. Know that you are not alone and a lot of people struggle with this every day. Know that you matter.

Btw I'm also very interested in how this will turn out. I hope you find the energy to finish it.

Portables
Thanks guys for the words :'3

I've started to slowly work on the usb Audio, I plan to use the Ti PCM2706C as the usb to audio, because I don't think I need anything specific and it should work fine and then a simple Amp(something lesser than the PAM) for speaker output(since usb is originally for headphones), the solution will be pretty jank, but it should work, gonna have a Concept of what I want in a couple of days. Since I am using the Latte panda, I don't need a usb hub, which is a big sigh of relief, because those things are a nightmare to fabricate(What does differential upstream even mean :P)

I'm gonna base Power off of a Usb-C(Because I'm cool) portable power supply, dunno if I'll actually get it done, because the main IC is only bga, I could try the stove top method, but idk if I should risk, but we'll cross that bridge when we cross that bridge.

For a Case, I'm thinking of Switch type of tablet, that you can use joycons with. But I'm still debating, since Joycons Analog Sticks only act as Dpad, and don't have full range of motion atm.

Hey @DeoNaught,

A fellow depression sufferer here. Just wanted to say that things will get better. Just take things day by day and know that it is ok to have bad days. I hope you have the help and support to get through this. If not try to find some professional help. For me, things started improving when I stopped being stubborn and accepted that I needed help to get through this. Know that you are not alone and a lot of people struggle with this every day. Know that you matter.

Btw I'm also very interested in how this will turn out. I hope you find the energy to finish it.
thanks, but dunno where to start for help haha, But Yeah, i've seeked some sort of help, it's helped a bit I presume.

It's not a hole, it's a tunnel; things will get better. Keep on keeping on, my dude.

Glad to hear you're making some progress. If you can push yourself to do those things you know you enjoy (like modding) even when you don't feel like doing them, I imagine you'll feel a bit better. PM me if you need someone to talk to.
Thanks aswell, I've always looked at it like a hole I need to climb out of, But Tunnel is a way better way to look at it. And I'll keep pm'ing in mind.

Thanks Famlams