Worklog The IkeprodigWii

Portables
Lol!
It really helps to make a clean and secure connection, and for this case it'll help flow to the trace you're applying to.
Yeah I definitely need to check that out.

Update: In the meantime though, I went a head and bought two more Wiis just in case...

Last edited:

GingerOfOz

no wario
Staff member
2020 2nd Place Winner
2022 3rd Place Winner
Portables
just so many i am so cool
It really helps to make a clean and secure connection, and for this case it'll help flow to the trace you're applying to.
Looked into flux since I need all the help I can get. Do you think it helps even if I already have rosin core solder? Some other people on the internet had different opinions on it. If you think it does help, what kind of flux would you recommend? Thanks!

jefflongo

Broke BitBuilt
Staff member
Portables
Looked into flux since I need all the help I can get. Do you think it helps even if I already have rosin core solder? Some other people on the internet had different opinions on it. If you think it does help, what kind of flux would you recommend? Thanks!
In my experience having flux paste has aided me greatly when soldering to things that haven't been soldered to before even though the solder has flux in it.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
In my experience having flux paste has aided me greatly when soldering to things that haven't been soldered to before even though the solder has flux in it.
This. More flux means better heat distribution. Just make sure to have some good rubbing alcohol on hand to clean the residue off the board afterwards.

GingerOfOz

no wario
Staff member
2020 2nd Place Winner
2022 3rd Place Winner
Portables

Matthew

Formally known as Chaos
Portables
Would this flux work? https://www.lowes.com/pd/RectorSeal-1-7-fl-oz-Nokorode-Soldering-Flux/1000092789

It kind of sounds like it should be used for plumbing purposes, but could it work? I looked into the Kester 951 that Noah reccomended, but it would all take at least a week to get here, whereas if I can find some flux at Lowes or another place in town then I can keep moving forward.
While that may work, like Cheese said. It's not something you really want to go cheap on. It may actually end up wasting your time by having it not work and then you having to wait to order it. Plus It may be good to think of this as an investment. It help you in the long run to get the right tools the first time.

But anyway, it's definitely your call. I would advise against using that because it looks to be for plumbing. It's probably better to get one specific for electronics.

Last edited:

GingerOfOz

no wario
Staff member
2020 2nd Place Winner
2022 3rd Place Winner
Portables
Are there any any other stores that might have electronic flux near me?

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
Portables
Lol!
I'll have to revisit this particular Wii some other day when I feel confident enough to solder to the legs and get flux. For now, however, I went ahead and ordered and received two Wiis for under $20 and loaded one with Portabilize Memes. The seller claimed they were untested but there were no problems!

I got lucky this time and scored a 4-layer board so I'll be able to do more reallocations!
IMG_2544.JPG

I'm not gonna update my last post on my haves and have nots because the only new things I have now are two more Wiis...

And this:
image.jpg

I don't know if I should be asking questions on here but... Are these usable? I have one more laying around some where and it has a lot cool features. I hadn't even thought about using it but once I opened it up ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°). If I can use it what kind of battery life would I be looking at?

One more random question: what are these?
IMG_2557.JPG

Ok, that's it for now! I'll probably go ahead and test my screen later tonight!

Last edited:

BocuD

Portables
Those are the wifi antennas of the Wii