Worklog The GS2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
What screen is that?
It's a dalian good display. really nice screen, you might say it is pretty good. I buy them in bulk at a low price. I have too many, I'll probably open up a for sale thread on my leftovers sometime soon if anyone is interested in one.

Amazing man! Do the dual tact mod jk. Are you going to paint it?
Absolutely, I will paint it. This is just a test print for test fitting parts and finding more improvements to make. I'll do one or two more before it goes live.

Frog

Actual analog sticks? Good choice actual sticks are >>>>>> then 3ds sliders. Are you using the vita sticks or different ones. I can only get full range on the vita sticks using a teensy. i wonder if using a gc+ board would give them full range because the teensy takes up a bit of space

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
Actual analog sticks? Good choice actual sticks are >>>>>> then 3ds sliders. Are you using the vita sticks or different ones. I can only get full range on the vita sticks using a teensy. i wonder if using a gc+ board would give them full range because the teensy takes up a bit of space
I am using mini 10k joysticks. They should work as expected without any microcontroller solution.

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
I made some improvements to my DAC board involving better trace layout and removing the logic level converter. I wish there was an easier way to wire it up using this trim but I had to cut past all the vias.

20170621_222723.jpg

20170621_223251.jpg

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
That micro USB port has quite the interesting pad arrangement :P
I'd suggest spacing out the B+ and B- on a future revision, those look a little close together...

This is gonna be good, quite a few projects with some custom PCBs!

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
My controller boards. I used these tact switches because they feel like a combination of squishy and tactile clicky while being shorter than the standard squishy buttons. There is an original PS2 controller IC on the back of the left board.

20170708_222323.jpg

JacksonS

Portables
That looks really nice, and I've not seen those buttons before. They look like GameCube Z buttons with the rubber actuator.

Wow Gman you're going ham on this thing! I'm just wondering if you have a link to those squishy tact switches you used?

Madmorda

Painting Queen
Portables
I also have tacts like those that I picked up a year ago from an electronics surplus store. They do feel like squishy hard tacts. The best way I can describe it is like a hard tact, except the plastic button is rubber instead. They require more pressure to press than regular hard tacts, so I was originally going to use them for a dual tact mod, but went with squishy instead.

Nice job @Gman :) I bet it feels really cool

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
Here they are installed in the test print and they do feel really cool!! A little while ago, I mentioned having complications with R3/L3 and the stick caps. Fortunately that turned out to be a miscalculation, R3/L3 feel great and are functional so no need for dedicated buttons!

20170709_120134.jpg

20170709_120107.jpg

The placement of the Start and Select buttons reminds me of the Nintendo Switch. I think my favorite part is how nicely the PCBs fit into the case (I know it's designed like that, but pleasing nonetheless).

Portables
sin^2(x) + cos^2(x) +e^(i*pi)
Here they are installed in the test print and they do feel really cool!! A little while ago, I mentioned having complications with R3/L3 and the stick caps. Fortunately that turned out to be a miscalculation, R3/L3 feel great and are functional so no need for dedicated buttons!

View attachment 3241
View attachment 3240
That is beautiful.....

Status
Not open for further replies.