Worklog The Galaxii (a Swiitch clone)

I figured it was about time for me to start a worklog on here! I want to make something similar to BocuD's Swiitch 2.5, but minus the custom firmware, since that's a little outside my skillset.

Planned Features:
  • 5" IPS display
  • RVL PMS Lite
  • U-Amp 2 with Wii HUD controls
  • GC+ 2
  • RVL PD 2
  • 3DS Sliders
  • 6000 mAh battery

So! The first thing I did was a board scan of a broken LCD driver board. The same model you can get on the 4Layer store. This was to get a better understanding of the circuit, allowing me to effectively relocate the entire board to a custom PCB.
IMG_1710.JPGIMG_1713.JPGIMG_1714.JPGIMG_1716.JPGIMG_1715.JPG

The plan is to combine the circuit I create with this and utilize the castellated pads on the 4Layer boards to integrate them into the circuit too. This is a rough concept of what I have in mind. Keep in mind that this is the first concept I drew up, and my plan has already changed a bit.
IMG_1743.jpg
The PMS is going to be in the back half of the case, as there is a bit of space back there that is perfect for it.

Here's the front face concept:
IMG_1744.JPG
Looks almost exactly like a switch lite, right? Well, that's sort of the idea.
+ is Start, - is Reset, the capture button is the screen menu, and the Home button is the power button.
I intend on having the power LED behind the home button (BTW, if you know of any surface mount RGB LED's that work with the PMS, I'd love to know).

Finally, here is the LCD schematic I've created by using my board scan, and cross referencing it with BocuD's LCD schematic (I am aware that the different firmware makes the circuit different, and I've taken that into account). The components aren't numbered, and one or two values are missing. Since this is the first time using KiCad, as well as the first time developing a moderately complex circuit like this, I am more than happy if you criticize anything I'm putting forward here.
LCD.png

That's everything I've done so far, I'll update you when the stuff in the mail arrives.

Looking good so far. This brings back memories as I did the same thing a while back. Was my first somewhat complicated circuit as well. It can definitely be made much smaller than the original board and makes for a cleaner build.

IMG_0389.jpg
IMG_0387.jpg

So, it's been a little while, but I've finally found the time (and motivation) to finally make progress on this project!
I decided to start with a prototype LCD board, as I'm pretty sure it's unwise to dive in head first with the full circuit.
Board Front.png

It's a lot smaller than the original board. If everything works, it should be compatible with VGA (RGBHV) and composite (C). It also includes the three menu buttons, so it would theoretically work on it's own merit with a portable console.

I also put my name on it, as that seems to be what all the cool kids are doing these days.
Board Back.png