Discussion The Arte Of Frankencasing!

Acronell

Aquafam
Capital District, New York, United States
Oh woe for the days past, and such as I cry tears for the generation before us now!
They whom believe only can the cases be printed in the third dimension, or yet be the cases formed by such the vacuum!

I think we should be bringing back the tradition of Frankencasing, and bring to the table some basic guides for the newer generation of modders. Not everyone is going to be able to afford to buy a printer themselves, or afford the cost of having someone else form a case for them.

Bring back the ways of Bondo and LazerDoodles, sanding and the ways of cutting.

Is there anyone who thinks this is somethign to return to our newer community members?

Noah

retired
Portables
https://bitbuilt.net/forums/index.php?threads/downings-guide-to-the-perfect-portable-case.101/

I still use the technique because I'd rather CNC a case than 3D print (personal preference from experience) and don't currently have access to a CNC.

Frankencasing is stronger than 3D printing in most cases, but CNC'ing cases is stronger than frankencasing since it is one piece of plastic, normally ABS, rather than multiple chunks fused together with a plastic "cement."

Doom

Modelrater
Estmemed Member
Portables
Always 1/2
I'd rather spend 100 hours modeling/printing/tweaking repeating with 3D printers than 10 minutes frankencasing. It's just what you enjoy more, really.

There's a few Frankencasers left, loveablechevy for one. It would be nice to see more frankencasing projects though, as more than enough 3D printed cases are just a box. You have a 3D printer and can make ANYTHING so let your imagination wander. That's a personal problem for me though lol

Also if anyone wants to write a glory days (insert thinly veiled springsteen meme here) of frankencasing article for my site (or one for here that I can c&p and make sound different, credit given of course) I will give you $3 whole dollars.

fibbef

Wizardry V Completer
Chiming in because this thread isn't too old yet. I still frankencase my projects, mostly because I don't have a 3D printer and haven't tried vacuum forming yet. I've been using melted ABS (leftover plastic + acetone) as my filler of choice and what you're left with is plastic fused to more plastic, which is wicked strawng.

I did write my own frankencasing guide awhile back, but it probably just mimics Downing's guide.

Acronell

Aquafam
Capital District, New York, United States
CHALLENGE ACCEPTED
Has this challenge been fulfilled yet? (3$ is a nice thing to have)

Chiming in because this thread isn't too old yet. I still frankencase my projects, mostly because I don't have a 3D printer and haven't tried vacuum forming yet. I've been using melted ABS (leftover plastic + acetone) as my filler of choice and what you're left with is plastic fused to more plastic, which is wicked strawng.

I did write my own frankencasing guide awhile back, but it probably just mimics Downing's guide.
I must have missed Downing's guide T.T

I do not deal with vacuums and I also do not have a 3D printer, though I would like to get one for other applications (mini figurines!)