Question Terrible audio using the PTH08000 switching regulator from all the old guides.

Kyosho

Portables
Several years back (10ish?), I needed a new N64 PSU, and figured, "Screw it, if I ever make a portable from it, might as well just build my own and it'll be ready later." Well, it's later, and good god does the audio sound awful. Not sure if it's due to it being a switching regulator, or if it is due to powering it using 9v, or some other reason. I'm not even trying to portablize the thing. I just want to play it. But good god, my ears. It sounds like the audio is badly clipping.

I'll measure anything that might be helpful, but I'm pretty sure I picked out the exact appropriate components back then. I was always a stickler for that. I figure there's probably a few people here who'd know immediately what the problem is, and how to fix it.

Please send help. My ears, guys. My ears.

P.S. Hello, long time no see, to any of my old Benheck/Modretro peeps that are still around.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Can you provide photos of the board and your wiring?

Kyosho

Portables
Can do. It's going to be embarrassing as hell, I'm sure. It's from my era of "if it works and isn't bridging anything, it's good, right?!" I'll try and get some pics in a bit here. Gotta find my gamebit screwdriver.

This isn't a new problem, by the way. I had this back when I first did the mod, but I didn't care so much back then. Oh, and if it's helpful, the motherboard is a NUS-CPU-04. That much I remember, because I intended to RGB mod it eventually.

Kyosho

Portables
Yikes. This is beyond just being embarrassing. This is absolutely atrocious. I don't know how I ever felt safe turning the system on with soldering like that. This must've been like 2007ish. Back when I was using unleaded solder and didn't know flux was a thing and so always ended up using a ton of solder. Ugh.

I think it goes without saying that I'm going to clean all this up. I just did some continuity testing, and somehow nothing is bridged. It was hard to get good pictures. It looks like there are bridges, but it's just the camera angle (and massive amounts of solder). Even so, I don't think this is the source of my problem, but I guess I'll find out soon.

Attachments

Last edited:
Portables
It’s hard to help you bc you haven’t included all the details. I see you’re trying to make a replacement n64 power supply, but how are you doing it? I can see the regulator you’re using, but what voltage is coming off the regulator? I’m assuming you want to get 3.3 volts, according to the regulator’s data sheet use an 18700 ohm feedback resistor. Also, use input and output capacitors on the regulator, I only see one capacitor in the photos. Then what power source are you using? You mentioned 9 volts somewhere, but never exactly said what was the power or amperage which is important bc it might not be enough to power the n64 properly. Now wiring the board, I have no idea what those wiring are suppose to be doing. I assume you put 3.3 volts from the regulator to the 3.3 volt line of the n64, but I can’t see it clearly and put 9 volts onto the 12 volt lines of the n64. It’s hard to help bc there are too many unknowns. To fix this, I recommend, redo your wiring and make it neater and if still doesn’t work come back and add better photos and explain the connections made.