Discussion Taking Wii portablizing one step further

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
Let's start directly with a video:
This is something I've been working on for the past few weeks. It's still a work in progress and there are few things missing. Me and @ShockSlayer need to do more tests to find the perfect solution prior to release :)
I'm going to post more updates in the next few weeks.
Let me know if you want any detail.

PS: This was a joke: https://bitbuilt.net/forums/index.php?threads/weird-problem-with-my-wii.782/

ShockSlayer

the real
Portables
please do not ask!!!! I will NOT respond
For those of you who may not have completely understood what was going on: the Wii was controlling the audio amp, and displaying the volume information onscreen!

The icons were designed by yours truly. ( °v°)

More will be revealed as progress is made. This is the first small step for us, but a giant leap for Wii portablizing.

That's a nice feature ,is this a firmware update on the GC controller board or something new :)
Thanks

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
That's a nice feature ,is this a firmware update on the GC controller board or something new :)
Thanks
No, the GC controller is completely unrelated. This is both a Wii software hack along with a small hardware mod to interface with my audio amp.
The volume is controlled through the GameCube controller, but it doesn't need to be a GC+ :)

Shank

Staff member
Portables
Very promising. Will this work system wide? If so, does that mean this is an IOS patch?

Will we be able to tweak/customize the icons that pop up on screen? Instead of big dots and little dots, Id love to do something dumb and memey like:

Quiet:
W i i
Loud:
W i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
Very promising. Will this work system wide? If so, does that mean this is an IOS patch?
Yes. Yes, it's a custom IOS module.

Will we be able to tweak/customize the icons that pop up on screen? Instead of big dots and little dots, Id love to do something dumb and memey like:

Quiet:
W i i
Loud:
W i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i
lol that's actually pretty cool ahahah
Anyway maybe, it's still a work in progress and I don't know yet how customizable I'll do it

ShockSlayer

the real
Portables
please do not ask!!!! I will NOT respond
I'll attempt to do it later for giggles. There are graphic stipulations based on the frame buffer and resolution, so what can be done cleanly is currently limited. Plus I'm now busy workin' on multiple layers of memes if you catch my drift.

JacksonS

Portables
How does it interface with your audio amp? Is it planned to work with any audio amp in the future?

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
How does it interface with your audio amp? Is it planned to work with any audio amp in the future?
Any? Probably not. Right now it uses Wii's GPIOs to control up/down signals on my amp (instead of buttons basically). This is going to change soon. I'll give more details in the near future

Shank

Staff member
Portables
The GPIO thing is the most surprising and impressive part to me. I was unaware the Wii had GPIO that could be repurposed and programed to be useful. Plus the fact that something like this could be implemented system wide through an IOS patch... So much potential here. I can't wait to see what can be done with this.