Worklog T-Wii

Hi everyone! So I am going to do my WiiPortable (who would have guessed?) and I would love any tips and suggestions from you guys.

First an introduction. I will trimm a 4 layers K01 wii board and I think I will make 2 PCBs, one for power with everything integrated (BSM, Charging board, regulators, etc), and one for the controller. I'll use 4 li-ion 18650 cells (2s2p), a 7" touchscreen display, and have to properly work on the controller but I am going to use the standard Wii controller design with 2 switch's analogs. Obviously this won't be a tiny one.

Now some "points" to accomplish:
1) Make It turn on...
2) ...more then 1 time.
3) If possible I want to integrate the touchscreen in the controller's PCB but I need more info.
4) No PortablizeMii (I prefer the original system, so I will relocate anything I need).
5) Full support to Wii controllers, stereo sound and 3.5mm jack and possibility to connect it to any TV. (If it is possible to use an HDMI port I can make a third PCB).
6) Because I am totally mad and I like woodworking, maybe I will build the case out of wood.
7) Make those "if" disappear. ;D

About time, this will be a really slow project, depending on how much time I have and want to use. This should help with optimization and to make sure everything works. I already am watching many threads but I still want all the tips and suggestions that someone with experience can share with me. This is the first time I make something like this so I have a lot to learn from you guys.

To conclude, the last thing I want to do is to make a detailed guide about this project, maybe even some videos. I want to share this one with everyone. Obviously I will give credits to BitBuilt and anyone who deserves them. If you are against it just tell me why. For now I need to know if I can post anything here or I have to make another thread for the guide. On this one I will post only every time there is an effective progress or to reply to someone.

Sorry if sometimes my english is not clear.

Your english is perfectly clear. You do not have to worry about that.

If you do not want to use PortablizeMii, but still want to trim the board, you will have to relocate every component on the board including the disc drive circuit board and the wifi chip. I know that the wifi chip is insanely hard to relocate and I am not sure if anybody has actually ever relocated the disc drive circuit board on a trimmed wii. But that is a big challenge to overcome.

Since you still want to use the main system menu, you cannot use a GC+ controller because gamecube controllers do not work on the main screen. You will have to use a wii remote. I would also recommend using JacksonS Classic+ controller board. It is basically a classic controller and nunchuk in one. It would definitely work for a better portable control scheme. Here is a link to the Classic+. https://bitbuilt.net/forums/index.php?threads/classic-initial-release.1940/

Also, trying to make your own charging board will be super hard because there are a lot of variables in that. Here is a board that we use to charge our batteries and that many of us have verified works, me included. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Intelligent...2S-Packs-18650-lithium-Satellite/311721987212

Good luck on making your portable. I cannot wait to see how it turns out.

Your english is perfectly clear. You do not have to worry about that.

If you do not want to use PortablizeMii, but still want to trim the board, you will have to relocate every component on the board including the disc drive circuit board and the wifi chip. I know that the wifi chip is insanely hard to relocate and I am not sure if anybody has actually ever relocated the disc drive circuit board on a trimmed wii. But that is a big challenge to overcome.

Since you still want to use the main system menu, you cannot use a GC+ controller because gamecube controllers do not work on the main screen. You will have to use a wii remote. I would also recommend using JacksonS Classic+ controller board. It is basically a classic controller and nunchuk in one. It would definitely work for a better portable control scheme. Here is a link to the Classic+. https://bitbuilt.net/forums/index.php?threads/classic-initial-release.1940/

Also, trying to make your own charging board will be super hard because there are a lot of variables in that. Here is a board that we use to charge our batteries and that many of us have verified works, me included. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Intelligent...2S-Packs-18650-lithium-Satellite/311721987212

Good luck on making your portable. I cannot wait to see how it turns out.
Thanks a lot, I'll put all the effort I can. ^^

About the charging board, I saw it in the batteries thread and was not sure if use it or not, but I think I will, and I'll make the regulators board wich should be a lot easier. :P

For the relocation I'll do everything but to be sure, there's no way to bypass the disc drive patching the IOSes?

Portables
sin^2(x) + cos^2(x) +e^(i*pi)
For the relocation I'll do everything but to be sure, there's no way to bypass the disc drive patching the IOSes?
I mean, there is, you know, Portablizemii :P, kind the reason it was made or something :rothink:

As per touch screen, why might I ask?
There's not much use for it except say, like easier to use the keyboard, which isn't really used alot.

If you make a regulator board, and you can confirm it works, I'm pretty sure would be able to make a battery board, But it will take time to learn, and you must acknowledge you will make mistakes. There's guides online, to get started in EDA(PCB design), KICAD, and EAGLE, are good programs(and what alot of people here use).

I mean, there is, you know, Portablizemii :P, kind the reason it was made or something :rothink:

As per touch screen, why might I ask?
There's not much use for it except say, like easier to use the keyboard, which isn't really used alot.

If you make a regulator board, and you can confirm it works, I'm pretty sure would be able to make a battery board, But it will take time to learn, and you must acknowledge you will make mistakes. There's guides online, to get started in EDA(PCB design), KICAD, and EAGLE, are good programs(and what alot of people here use).
First of all thanks for your feedback.

I know PortablizeMii would help, but I was curious if someone found a different solution for the disk drive, as I would relocate the wi-fi anyway and prefer the original menu.

I will test the circuit before connect anything, as I said I will take a lot of time, obviously in combo with the charging protection board MasterNate kindly suggested. I'm already watching many guides and mistakes are just a different way to learn. ;)

Obviously I'll post the gerber here after I'm sure it works.

Before I forget about the touchscreen, I wasn't sure about it, and as you said it is useless for most applications. So I won't use it at this point.

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
If you're looking to boot straight to the wii menu without a DD, you should look into neek2o, that is what we use in PM to support booting games without a drive. There is an option to have it boot into a normal wii menu, and to use on screen controls to switch games that are in the emulated disc drive.

If you're looking to boot straight to the wii menu without a DD, you should look into neek2o, that is what we use in PM to support booting games without a drive. There is an option to have it boot into a normal wii menu, and to use on screen controls to switch games that are in the emulated disc drive.
Thank you so much, I didn't know about it, tomorrow I will try!