Switching to VGA issue :(

MechX

Hi all,
So I am 95% sure I installed BBloader with VGA enabled (if I didn't, is there anyway to correct this?).
Composite video works completely, and I believe the controls do too. But haven't tested COMPLETELY yet.

So, I'm going through the switch to VGA steps, I've buzzed the R, G, B individually from LCD driver to the locations on the wii board. They appear to be buzzed correctly.
However, I've noticed something. When the power is off, each signal R, G, B all buzz to ground. BUT, R, G,B do not buzz to each other?

HSync and V Sync do not buzz to each other - so verified not shorted - excellent. However, when I press source on the controller, I get a screen 'flash', but no video.
Any help? Anything to check?

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
You gotta check the resistance value on the multimeter, not the beep. Some of them have "continuity" beep thresholds way below what actually consitutes direct continuity. I can't remember what the values to ground should be, but as long as it's more than 10 ohms it's fine. If it's 1 or less, there's a short somwehere

As for if you need to enable VGA, hold L+R+Z on your GC controller while powering on the Wii and wait until the "BBLoader bootloader" text disappears. You can re-run the installer from there and enable VGA, it's also how you get to the system menu easily

Last edited:

MechX

You gotta check the resistance value on the multimeter, not the beep. Some of them have "continuity" beep thresholds way below what actually consitutes direct continuity. I can't remember what the values to ground should be, but as long as it's more than 10 ohms it's fine. If it's 1 or less, there's a short somwehere

As for if you need to enable VGA, hold L+R+Z on your GC controller while powering on the Wii and wait until the "BBLoader bootloader" text disappears. You can re-run the installer from there and enable VGA, it's also how you get to the system menu easily

Getting about 40-50 Ohms b/w each of the R,G,B to ground.
GC controller? Or can I do it on my G-Boy directly (in composite video of course).

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
The G-Boy's GC+ will do the same job, just make sure the sticks are connected or it'll shit itself

MechX

The G-Boy's GC+ will do the same job, just make sure the sticks are connected or it'll shit itself
Thank you :) so feeling a little embarrassed. I resolved it.

First mistake- i had wired H sync and V sync inverted at the LCD side. So quickly fixed that.
No cigar yet, so I reinstalled BB loader and ensured to enable VGA (I swear I did) but, VGA now works woot! Thanks for your help.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Hey don't worry about it, I once shorted H and V sync together and spent over 2 hours trying to figure out wtf I'd done wrong