Worklog Switch-alike Portable

I have started a new project :)
Not sure when it will be finished though... I have many more things to do (getting married and all :D ). But I wanted to share my thoughts and progress so far:

The Case will (except for its thickness) look similar to the switch. I will design it from scratch and print it myself.
The Display (5") will be hidden behind an acrylic glass (1mm thick) with some window film.
OMGWTF mainboard cut
Custom regs
GC+ and WiiHUD
Carbon filament for the case, anthracite PLA (or ABS) for the controller
8100mAh 3.7V accu with charge and play (lets see, how this works)

So far... The mainboard is already trimmed and softmodded. Got the cooling and some other things patched up. But I will most likely progress slowly. As I mentioned, I will get married soon and have many things to do beforehand.

Greetings from Germany

That faceplate is beautiful ! I've been wishing I could do something like this for a while. It's great. It sells the quality and professionalism of the portable even before it's been built.

What will you do for the controller? Do you want it to snap on?

Keep going !

Actually the controller-parts will not be detachable. I will (probably) glue them together. It is just for the looks and the different color.

Still not sure what pins I have to solder to the Wii2HDMI adapter... Pretty sure it uses Composite, but I have to investigate which power source I have to connect.

Last edited:

Shank

Staff member
Portables
Looks fantastic so far. I would consider adding screw posts and ways to mount all the components you plan to use.
From my experience, acrylic scratches pretty easily. I tried laser cutting pieces to use as a screen protector, but they got scratched way too easily and increased the glare, so I dropped the idea. Do you have a way to circumvent this?

Wii2HDMI uses component (not composite) and is powered by 5v. I would not recommend using a wii2hdmi for this project. It requires running a lot of wires on the HDMI end or using an actual HDMI cable, all of which will take up space, which you are hard pressed for. I would advise sticking with just composite.

Ah, thank you for your post. I will definitely add screw posts in the model. This is just an early work in progress...
The Glas is not exactly acrylic, it's makrolon. I wanted to use a custom glass protector like the tempered glass for smartphones. But this is rather difficult :D (I could not cut it with a normal glass cutter)
The reason I am using the Wii2HDMI is, that I'm using a HDMI screen (for raspberry). They are very low in price and have a rather good quality. The wiring is already done ;)

JacksonS

Portables
I love the overall look so far. Are you creating wireless detachable controllers as well?

I love the overall look so far. Are you creating wireless detachable controllers as well?
I was really thinking about that. But it would be too much effort for this feature as I was planning to just play Gamecube games with it. But I like challenges. Maybe in another portable ;)

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Ah, thank you for your post. I will definitely add screw posts in the model. This is just an early work in progress...
The Glas is not exactly acrylic, it's makrolon. I wanted to use a custom glass protector like the tempered glass for smartphones. But this is rather difficult :D (I could not cut it with a normal glass cutter)
The reason I am using the Wii2HDMI is, that I'm using a HDMI screen (for raspberry). They are very low in price and have a rather good quality. The wiring is already done ;)
You could use a Pluto2 with Wii firmware. It's a bit of a pain to wire, but it'd do better than most component to HDMI adapters.

Unfortunately the setup doesn't seem to work... :/

All I get is this white line on the screen.
Will look into this at some other time though.

Portables
sin^2(x) + cos^2(x) +e^(i*pi)

Try it on another screen, also check your wires, Smexy af case btw

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables

So you're using the Wii to HDMI adapter here, yes?

Shank

Staff member
Portables
Make sure your component sense line is shorted to 3.3v. If that doesn't fix it, connect the component video to a component monitor, go to the Wii menu, and set video settings to 480p, then test your current setup. If that doesn't work, let me know and I'll give some more suggestions.

Make sure your component sense line is shorted to 3.3v.
That might do the trick. I will look into this later today (hopefully) ;)
I just wanted to add my voltages, because they are a bit lower than they need to...
3.3v runs at 3.29v (I think thats ok ;) )
1.15v runs at 1.06v
1v runs at 0.91v
I was using the resistors that were advised in the guide hub. Seems that I have to lower the resistor values though :|.

Thank you all for your help and advise ;)

Small update for the case: I need to relocate the mainboard because my battery setup doesn't work...(will use normal 18650 batteries now). And I started to design the controller-parts. I'll keep you guys updated.

GingerOfOz

no wario
Staff member
2020 2nd Place Winner
2022 3rd Place Winner
Portables
just so many i am so cool
Are those your voltages when you are running the Wii? If so, then those should all be fine. It's perfectly normal for the voltage on each line to drop a little bit when the Wii turns on :). Good luck with this! It is looking really good.

Yes, they are from the running Wii. Without the Wii attached the voltages are almost optimal. I was just wondering if I have to adjust the regulators so that under load they'd output the required voltages.
If only the PowerMii would be available :D (don't worry Aurelio, I will wait ;) )

Shank

Staff member
Portables
3.3v runs at 3.29v
Perfect.
1.15v runs at 1.06v
This will probably work just fine, but its getting into the risky area, being almost 10% off. You are getting close to being at unstable levels. I would recommend raise the voltage so the voltage under load is 1.10 to be safe.
1v runs at 0.91v
In my tests, the lowest I was ever able to boot a board on this line was .867v on one meter and .866 on a different meter. While it booted under these conditions, it was very unstable. You are getting very close to these numbers, and a slight fluctuation in power could make the voltage drop enough to make the console shut down. I would strongly advise adjusting this line to be closer to the recommended 1v range.

Hey guys, got it working now. The fault was both the voltage and the 3.3v for the video.
It now runs at 1.14v on the 1.15v line and at 0.98v on the 1v line. Hopefully this will not decrease any further ._.
Thank you for your help <3

Btw: Can you tell me why the screen has such a dislocated image?

Shank

Staff member
Portables
It now runs at 1.14v on the 1.15v line and at 0.98v on the 1v line.
Nice. Thats a solid voltage under load.
Btw: Can you tell me why the screen has such a dislocated image?
See if you can tweak the image in the screen's settings, if it has controls on it.

See if you can tweak the image in the screen's settings, if it has controls on it.
Unfortunately it hasn't ._.'

Got some buttons done.

Still waiting for my GC+ ._. I ordered it exactly one month ago...

Last edited: