Question Super Game Boy... Portable?

Okay, so I had this completely useless idea for a project and I googled my heart out but couldn't find that anyone's ever attempted it before, so I thought I'd ask here and see if anyone knows anything or if it's even feasible!

Now, as you may or may not know, the Super Game Boy cart for SNES that let's you play GB games on it contains pretty much the same circuits as the actual DMG-01 (just minus the screen and inputs). The SNES has no emulation capability so this was their solution, pretty much. The cart just communicates the graphical data to the SNES for it to display and sends back the input data from the controller to the GB cart.
The SGB cart even has the hardware necessary for a link cable port, you just have to connect the port itself!

Okay so here is the useless part: Can you mod an actual SGB cart "back" into a full Game Boy? As in add a screen, speaker and inputs? As the circuits are practically identical it should be possible.

So, am I crazy? Is it possible? Why or why not? I'd love your input on this!

Shank

Staff member
Portables
Im pretty sure it's possible to do with FPGA stuff, but it seems kind of pointless since you would litteraly just be making a Gameboy color.

splain

In 2016(?) there was a modding contest on the Gameboy subreddit, and one guy tried to make a Super Game Boy with a screen and controls, so that you could play games on it, but then also pop it into a SNES and play it that way too. He never finished it, but he got a few things working, like the link cable port if I remember right. He never finished it, but I remember his username if you want to try and contact him about it.

firefox_2019-05-24_10-39-31.png