Stuck Shoulder Button

When installing the Shoulder Button Assembly, I noticed the right "hole" did not allow for smooth movement of the buttons. I tried both buttons and both produced similar results. I've sanded the hole and minor improvements started to appear, but the right shoulder button still does not "bounce back" to its full resting position.

I am seeking advice on where to focus my shaving and sanding efforts.

Currently,the button will fully press and the two clicks of the switch are distinct. Once released, the button does not slide back into its natural/full resting position. The button can be manually slid back into its natural/full resting position by pushing from beneath the button, but this is cumbersome and annoying. If the button is not manually slid into the correct position, it feels as if the button is resting right "above" the first click of the switch. When stuck, it is VERY difficult to lightly press the button to only active the first click, the travel of the button is almost gone, and it does not feel like the switch is fully pushing back on the button.

FYI: So far, I have only trimmed the Wii and gotten up to Step 3 of the GBoy Manual. I have not tested the shoulder buttons inside a game or software. My concerns with the right shoulder button come from the smoothness of the left shoulder button compared to the roughness of the right.

Completed Shoulder Button Assembly
assembled-not-pressed.jpg
assembled-pressed.jpg

Outside of Case without Button
outside-no-button-1.jpg
outside-no-button-2.jpg

Inside of the Case
inside-with-buttons.jpg

inside-no-button-1.jpg

inside-no-button-2.jpg

inside-no-button-3.jpg

inside-no-button4.jpg

The Button
button-1.jpg

button-2.jpg

button-3.jpg

button-4.jpg

button-5.jpg

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
You might need to file a little material off of the shoulder button rotating hinge part that pivots against the pcb. Only take a little off at a time to avoid mistake of taking too much off.

Okay, before I do that. Two more questions for clarification.

How should I sand the button?
I notice there is a tiny lip on the rotating part, should I slowly sand the lip down so the rotation section is more cylindrical or something else?

side-profile.jpg

When looking over the photos I originally posted, I noticed a small tag/overhang in the top part of the hole. Could that be a culprit? Should I remove it?
outside-no-button-2-arrow.jpg

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
I cant really say for certain without feeling it myself. You just need to use your best judgement to figure out where the button is rubbing and getting stuck.

Senor Avocado

2022 2nd Place Winner
I found this out from making my mini controller with ds lite shoulder buttons that using some pencil shavings helped make things smoother, since graphite is sort of a lubricant. Just a suggestion!

Also sanding with a low grit or using files can cause a rougher finish which will cause more friction so I would also recommend using a higher grit sandpaper if you arent already so that it can still be smooth

I got it to move smoother by sanding down a small section of the bottom half of the support/post that holds the z-button.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

1stage

Portables
G-Boy
And so long as you're not planning on painting it, a small layer of petroleum jelly (Vaseline) around the edges can often assist with this sort of thing. Wipe off all excess... only the thinnest of coatings is needed.

If you are planning on painting it, clean the surface well, use primer filler, sand, repeat, and then use a good quality plastic-friendly spray paint, also with a fine sanding between layers, finished with a clear coat. (This should take no less than a week, as each coat SHOULD cure for 24 hours for best results.) THEN you can apply the petroleum jelly.

FYI, this also works on freshly painted doors/windows, where the latex paint is sticking to itself around the frame. You can always wipe it off after the paint has fully set in a few weeks, but where you need to keep things closed.