Question Starting my first portable!

MechE

Starting my first portable soon (Wii), super excited! Had some questions before I get started though.

1) Internal Controller:
I’m planning on going the GC+ route, but I wanted to check something first. I have a usb encoder controller board left over from a RPi handheld project (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01L8K21CK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_ztG0CbSS6N6NA). Is there anyway I can connect this to the GC port instead?

2) Battery Pack
Are mobile chargers viable replacements for the traditional batteries used around here (assuming it’s a powerful enough charger)? Not as compact but they seem to be cheaper and easier.

If I were to power the Wii via USB, what would be the best way to do that?

Thanks for the help!

jefflongo

Broke BitBuilt
Staff member
Portables
Starting my first portable soon (Wii), super excited! Had some questions before I get started though.

1) Internal Controller:
I’m planning on going the GC+ route, but I wanted to check something first. I have a usb encoder controller board left over from a RPi handheld project (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01L8K21CK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_ztG0CbSS6N6NA). Is there anyway I can connect this to the GC port instead?

2) Battery Pack
Are mobile chargers viable replacements for the traditional batteries used around here (assuming it’s a powerful enough charger)? Not as compact but they seem to be cheaper and easier.

If I were to power the Wii via USB, what would be the best way to do that?

Thanks for the help!
No, you cannot use a usb encoder because the gamecube data line isn't USB.

People have used mobile chargers before but you need to make sure they can output enough current (2.4A should be enough if you are using a 4 layer), and it should support charging while outputting current. Also you want to make sure the batteries aren't garbage. It's probably less work to use 18650s with either the popular red charging board or Gman's PMS system. You can power the Wii with USB, but with a standard "fast charging" micro USB solution there's no chance you will be able to charge the batteries and play at the same time (5V * 2.4A = 12W at best). Most people use a 12v 3A power supply so that you can comfortably charge while playing.

MechE

Ah alright that makes sense. I’ll probably stick with the classic GC+ and 18650 set up! Thanks for the help.