Solved SSD vs Flash Drive

vikMKW

Preparing to build a wii laptop. Since the most recommended Samsung flash drive is not sold anymore and space is not a concert, I'm considering using a 2.5" SSD.

I presume the power draw would be greater than that of a flash drive, so I'd need to crunch some numbers. I'm also unsure if the SATA to USB adapter would pose any additional problems.

Will portablizemii not play nice with an SSD? Thoughts?

Portables
Preparing to build a wii laptop. Since the most recommended Samsung flash drive is not sold anymore and space is not a concert, I'm considering using a 2.5" SSD.

I presume the power draw would be greater than that of a flash drive, so I'd need to crunch some numbers. I'm also unsure if the SATA to USB adapter would pose any additional problems.

Will portablizemii not play nice with an SSD? Thoughts?
From my understanding the USB drive compatibility is already really low, so my guess would be that with ssd's it woudnt be much better, so your investment in them might be a total waste of time and money if in the end it doesn't work
I don't think the usb 2.0 of the Wii can use such speeds of an SSD either
So the best option would be to buy the Kingston sd card adapter, which is Guaranteed to work :)

vikMKW

I don't think the usb 2.0 of the Wii can use such speeds of an SSD either
It was more about capacity than speed with that 2.0 bottleneck.

So the best option would be to buy the Kingston sd card adapter, which is Guaranteed to work :)
Is that what's most popular as of late? I'm guessing pair it with a reliable samsung SD card?

USB compatibility should be far less of a problem with Hiidra
Hail Hiidra! I don't entirely understand it as of yet, but I'll follow it as it unfolds.

Last edited by a moderator:
Portables
It was more about capacity than speed with that 2.0 bottleneck.

Is that what's most popular as of late? I'm guessing pair it with a reliable samsung SD card?
Yes it's been the go to way it seems as of now, I've used SanDisk SD cards but most seem to be using samsung yeah

In terms of capacity you can use big sd cards, but I haven't maxed out my SD card with 128gb, you can go up to 256 if you really need it

Also heard @GingerOfOz used a 1tb card but load times got bad I think I read from memory