Worklog Spaghetti's Playstation Shield portable!

Portables
Hello everyone,

I'd like to introduce you to my new playstation 2 portable that i've been cooking up for a while. I didn't even name it yet, but it'll probably be some generic one.

Anyways, Welcome!

With this playstation 2 project, it will have full compatibility, meaning any game that runs well with SMB connection, it'll be compatible. I'll be using a Raspberry pi 3B+ to host my server. And i will also be using the OFFICIAL PS2 CONTROLLER for full ps1/ps2 compatibility, actually, 70% of my motivation is coming from the fact that I'll be able to play the classical Crash Bandicoot on it :awesome:.

So, Let me go over the things that'll be used in this project:

1.PS2 SCPH-79003(it was labeled 79001 on the cover but it had 79003 Motherboard for some reason but whatever), Advance trimmed.

2.4x NCR18650B paralleled lithium ion battery.

3.PS2PMS.

4.U-Amp for my audio solution with 2x 8Ohm speakers.

5.OFFICIAL PS2 CONTROLLER.

6. 5" 4:3 VGA LCD Display for the best quality.

7.Raspberry pi 3b+ for the SMB method(BEST WAY TO LOAD GAMES).

I'd like to extend my appreciation to @Matthew for his amazing work with the ps2+. i have a couple of boards with the ps2+ that'll hopefully be used in the future :).

First I'll go over the motherboard trim and then I'll show you guys the 3D models.

One thing to note is will be using composite for ps1 games, seems like they fail to show up when it's in VGA mode(White picture), so i will connect both VGA and Composite simultaneously and just switch to composite whenever i want to play PS1 games(please tell me if there's something wrong with this method).

Before the trim, i tested the VGA and it's amazing!!
C65B5C6D-5D94-4BC0-A06F-BCC2FE6036C1.JPG

IMG_9643.jpg

Here's my dirty work station + ps2 motherboard that has been marked up for the advanced trim.

IMG_9644.jpg

IMG_9648.jpg

It was a fun experience since it's my first time trimming the ps2.

Size comparison With the GBC:

IMG_9649.jpg

After that, i relocated the voltages to the required points and used VGA to test it:
IMG_9666.jpg

Those LED legs, i know, i've since desoldered them:P.

Anyways, that's a success, now to the 3D modeling part.

So Here's my INITIAL design which was changed afterwards because of the action buttons placement:
Initial.PNG

i Also Print tested it:
5842FE4C-7424-4E14-9D0C-D7C01380DD78.JPG

this is PETG material if anyone's interested. it kind of felt awkward to use the left analog as well as the action buttons so i settled with this:

1.PNG

See that little red dot under the Dpad? that's the analog LED and under it is the button to indicate that the analog is ON or OFF(Some Ps1 games dont accept commands if the analog is ON like CRASH BANDICOOT 1).
2.PNG

The button near the RGB LED will be the PMS power ON and the other button will be the RESET button of the PS2.

Here are the internals of the portable:
Without PS2:
3.PNG

With PS2:
4.PNG

Near the charging port, there will be an opening for the Blower fan to blow out.

Soon ill start the printing process and after that hopefully the assembly and the finished product, Stay Tuned!

I'd like to thank @Gman for his extensive help with the ps2 motherboard knowledge and his PCB's 3d models that he provided. @ABH for his continuous knowledge input since the start of the project!

Last edited:
You can also use a TP-link AC750 travel router with smb share to load games, easy to setup and works fine, will check the size of the board inside the case to see if its smaller than a pi! And if it takes less power than a pi?

Portables
It actually is the best way to load games on the slim model for portability since the Ps2 uses USB 1.1, SMB loads faster and has way more compatible games, Look at this list if you're interested:
https://www.ps2-home.com/forum/page/opl-game-compatibility-list-1
And actually some of the USB Compatible games do have Lag issues with cut scenes and long loading times.

Unless there's a way im not aware of, please do tell me about it!

You can also use a TP-link AC750 travel router with smb share to load games, easy to setup and works fine, will check the size of the board inside the case to see if its smaller than a pi! And if it takes less power than a pi?
The OS that im using on the raspberry pi has many things disabled like Bluetooth, WiFi, and HDMI. According to my calculations, The Pi idles at 300-350mAh, and that's pretty efficient. Thank you nonetheless.

Since you have a pi in there, do you think it would be possible to say flick a switch and boot up either the ps2 with pi or just the pi running retropie using the same screen and controls, so having a ps2/retropie duel handheld?, suppose it would be a pain to wire up!

Portables
What OS are you using?, 300-350mAh is pretty good though!
I'm using the NOOBS package, i dont have alot of experience with Pi OS's.

I'm here with a small update, Initially i decided to use the official ps2 controller, but little did i know, it wasn't as straight-forward as i hoped it would be. the Controller kept pressing everything at first, but then i managed to make it semi-work, it would function in the menu but the analog stick weren't working. when i enter OPL, the controller doesnt work well there.

I have 0 idea on how to make it work and i dont think i want to spend another 4 days troubleshooting it, im going to desolder it and replace it with a 3rd party i have laying around after i check it's functionality.

I have a question here, for the analogsticks, im using a 10k joystick, i need help with the connections, should i just connect the 6 pins of the potentiometers, as well as 2 pins for the Click button?

I'd appreciate all the help i can get.

ABH

Hi

I have a question, if you cut the point where the ignition goes

How do you turn on the console now?

I have looked at the cutting guide for 7900X but I cannot understand, I don't speak English and the translator is very bad.

sorry for asking here :|
6E41C58F-03DB-461B-9611-A36B9D889C09.jpeg

Noah

retired
Portables
Sorry for asking this on a topic from another user, but it won't let me create my own thread to ask the questions.
Please read the PM you received after registering. The instructions on how to gain the privileges to create your own thread are in there. Generally it's not kind to use someone else's worklog for your personal questions! If you continue to do this I will have to remove your ability to post on other people's threads. Please don't respond to this as we've mucked up @MomSpaghetti's thread enough. Thanks!

Portables
Hello everyone, i come here with some updates on the project, It finished!

I had some delays on this project because it's my first time working on a PS2.

the first delay was the memory card, i thought i burnt it since there was some magic smoke coming out of it. so i threw the whole project in the cabinet for a good 2 weeks until i've had enough of this break, got it out, and apparently everything was working again!(no idea)

anyways, Here's the end result! :

IMG_4647.jpg

IMG_0518.jpg

IMG_0504.jpg

IMG_0514.jpg

The Nudes that no one asked for(The reason why i hate Controllers with no custom PCBs):

IMG_0502.jpg

Specs:
5" VGA Display.(Can be switched to AV using the control buttons to play PS1 games)
Advanced ps2 trim with advanced voltage relocations.
3rd Party controller.
FMCB 64MB memory card.
4x 18650s in parallel.(up to 4-5ish hours of gameplay theoretically)
PETG material for the case.

Video:

This concludes this project!

Thank you all.

Portables
Looks really great! the shape is really unique, how does it feel for a while playing?

Portables
Looks really great! the shape is really unique, how does it feel for a while playing?
It actually feels nice and it fits in my hands if you watched the video.

Even though i really like the analog stick's look because of the classic look, i dont think it's that good for portability because it's really big, but it's not bad either, my hands fit them still!

And about the shape, Yea i had this idea of the portable being shaped like a shield :p but modified for portability.

Dang man, you're on a roll shelling out N64 portables and a PS2! Looks great, love the filament color choice!