Worklog SP PSII Build

Portables
Well I was looking for a solution as to why the Psone games were working fine but only some of the Ps2s were working or struggling to play the Film sequences so I thought I'd see if there was anybody having the same problems with their regular Ps2s there was a whole bunch of people talking about cleaning the eye and holding the disk lid down, but the only ones I could find that had anything similar was the ones talking about laser speeds and showed how to adjust the pots one for the CD and one for the DVD: like I said it's got good results all the Ps2 games that didn't work properly now work except for War of the monsters.

That blows, I measured the ones in my system's disc drive, and they were 65 and 49 at 20k, but its always possible that the DVD power driver IC is wearing out

Last edited:
Portables
Well if that's the case I don't think there's much I can do about that... If it gets to the point where it wont play DVDs anymore I'll try getting a new laser but at least its playing the vast majority at the moment.

Portables
Hmm... I think your right about the IC I've tried swapping the laser and they all seem to be doing the same thing CDs and Ps1 games work fine but DVDs and Ps2 games aren't recognised... If I install FreeMcBoot would that be an option for playing the Ps2 games? I've never used (or installed it) before... Any guidance would be appreciated.

Unfortunately FreeMcBoot isn't going to help so much with loading games from the disc drive, you'd pretty much be limited to USB and Ethernet loading, but that hasn't stopped some pretty sick portables from being built. Do you have a set of swap magic discs, or a cheat device like an Action Replay or Game Shark? Because before installing FreeMcBoot you need a way to launch unofficial software

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Alternatively, there are still a few online retailers that sell pre-flashed FMCB memory cards.

Portables
I'd go to eBay. Still plenty of FMCB memory card's on there and once you have one you can easily clone via the PS2 to other memory card's from what I've read.

^ I've just purchased one a couple days ago from ebay. It hasn't come in yet so I can't vouch for quality yet though. Also from what I've seen the side bar on r/ps2 might have a FMCB service as well.

Doom

Modelrater
Estmemed Member
Portables
Always 1/2
I bought mine from eBay and no problems whatsoever. Of course most of my DRE Slims are SCPH-9000 models lol.

Portables
I've bought 2 from eBay and they were fine (and only £6 ($9?) each. Cheaper for me to buy than clone.

Edit: my ps2s are a first gen fat and 2 79003s

Portables
I've got the McBoot up and running. Seems to work there's the video lag on some games but it's not a massive issue. Anyway I've done a video.
Yes I know not all PS2 games are DVD based! The video glasses cut out towards the end and the dates wrong on them! But Hey! Time Travel, thats pretty Steampunk!

cfc_12

Portables
are all car reverse camera capable for portables?

Portables
Well they all take av signals so I suppose so. Although some of the cheap ones I bought to start with had some trouble coping with the Ps1 games signal... I still don't know why. But this one was a bit more expensive about ten pounds more... But works great.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
I love the neck strap. It makes it even more steampunky. Very nice build.

Portables
I love the neck strap. It makes it even more steampunky. Very nice build.
Might not be the final one it's just the best I had lying around... Might make a wider one or add a neck pad to make it more comfortable.
As for carrying it around the conventions I think I'm going to make a proper leather carrying case/bag for it.

Damn! That's looking ace. Love the little touches. Great job
Thanks.