Soldering questions

I'm installing a mod chip in a PS2 slim and I have a few questions about how to solder to certain points:

On this point would it be possible to solder directly to the adjacent resistor instead of the point marked?

I'm having trouble getting these points to take any solder. I'm assuming I need to scrape away solder mask or something along those lines? Also assuming that I would need to do that to the above point to solder directly to it as well. I've never soldered directly to traces before so I'm just covering all my bases to make sure I don't brick this thing.

EDIT: Found the answer to my own questions. I now know these are called vias and that you have to carefully remove the solder mask to reveal the copper pads. Any tips on how to go about this or preferred tools?

Last edited:

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
EDIT: Found the answer to my own questions. I now know these are called vias and that you have to carefully remove the solder mask to reveal the copper pads. Any tips on how to go about this or preferred tools?
Exposing covered vias is probably the job of either a sharp multimeter probe, or an xacto knife. Make sure to be patient when scratching so you don't accidentally cut the trace