Worklog Sneak Preview of my second portable

Portables
sin^2(x) + cos^2(x) +e^(i*pi)
That's amazing @_@
few questions if you don't mind :D
what's the thickness?
is the emblem just two pieces of acrylic?

Attachments

Wow, this looks legit! Hats off to you for everything from the 3d designing to the pcb designing as well!

@Bill Paxton
What screen did you use?

Wow, this looks legit! Hats off to you for everything from the 3d designing to the pcb designing as well!

@Bill Paxton
What screen did you use?
Thanks. The screen I used was just a cheap backup camera kit thing from Amazon.

On an unrelated note, since this is made out of Nylon, it takes to Rit's Synthetic fabric dye very well. I've attached a picture of an old trash piece that I tried this on. I should have done a better job sanding first, as you can clearly see all the smooth/rough spots. But, that's why I tested this on one of my trash pieces first, instead of the real thing.

Attachments

Last edited:
Portables
That's cool, technically speaking it should work with regular white pla aswell right?

and, if you don't mind sharing, is the hinge method using a ds type of hinge, or something else entirely?

That's cool, technically speaking it should work with regular white pla aswell right?

and, if you don't mind sharing, is the hinge method using a ds type of hinge, or something else entirely?
Not sure if it will work with regular PLA. Initially I ripped apart a GBA SP hinge and made my own 3D model, scaled it up, and had Shapeways print it. Long story short: it worked, but not as well as I hoped. :( So I am now currently using two 3DS barrel axis hinges. One on each side.

IMG_20190322_210357661.jpg
After many tries and fails, I finally leaned the correct way to mix and spray clear coat on things. Not 100% perfect, but I realized that if I keep aiming for absolute perfection, I'm never going to be done with this.

GingerOfOz

no wario
Staff member
2020 2nd Place Winner
2022 3rd Place Winner
Portables
just so many i am so cool
Nope, that looks to be only 99% perfect, so just start over again and send that one to me. I'll make sure it gets disposed of properly.

that thing is 2sexy4me

Nope, that looks to be only 99% perfect, so just start over again and send that one to me. I'll make sure it gets disposed of properly.

that thing is 2sexy4me
But you probably have too many so I'll take it off your hands

StonedEdge

a.k.a. ClonedEdge
Portables
Amazing stuff, I really like the simplicity of the design, as well as the Gamecube Advance SP emblem.

What kind of buttons are you using for the ABXY? Did you pull them from an old controller or design them in CAD?

Amazing stuff, I really like the simplicity of the design, as well as the Gamecube Advance SP emblem.

What kind of buttons are you using for the ABXY? Did you pull them from an old controller or design them in CAD?
Thanks! The ABXY buttons were designed in AutoCAD. The face shape and diameter are same, but they needed to be shorter to fit into the design. Font of the letters is wrong, but I couldn't figure out what it was, so I just picked something close.

P.S. Sorry if anyone thought this was the video post. It'll be posted eventually. I'm currently looking into product filming techniques so I can make this thing look as sexy as possible.

I stopped being lazy and shot a video today. Enjoy!

P.S. @Aurelio I think we should make babies together. So if you want to put your thing (Pizza magic 2.0 next level techno wizardry shit) into my thing (this shell, or a modified version of this shell to adequately accommodate it) let me know. ;) That would be one gorgeous kiddo.

Attachments

Portables
That is one Glossy boy

the Power switch looks like it's easily hit, or does it stay out of the way most of the time?

That is one Glossy boy

the Power switch looks like it's easily hit, or does it stay out of the way most of the time?
It fits into like, the cup of your hand. It also takes a bit of force to flip it back and fourth. I have not once turned it off by accident.