Question Smallest possible Omgwtf trim

For my portable I would like to do a Omgwtf trim for the Wii motherboard, however I need a smaller trim, and I don't think I'm skilled enough to do a Lmao or a Lmaov2. Is it possible to make the Omgwtf trim close to the size of a Lmaov2 trim?

A_s6

Portables
i don’t give a hee ho
uhhh the omgwtf is as small as it gets without a nand relocation. it fits into pretty much anything and there’s usually no need for lmaos. what makes you think you need a lmao? (i’m genuinely curious)

jefflongo

Broke BitBuilt
Staff member
Portables
You should probably define "smaller". It's possible to shave off a small amount off the top and bottom if you are very careful about the NAND traces, and it's possible to shave some off in other directions by making non-straight cuts, but you won't save much on the bounding-box size of the trim.

uhhh the omgwtf is as small as it gets without a nand relocation. it fits into pretty much anything and there’s usually no need for lmaos. what makes you think you need a lmao? (i’m genuinely curious)
I want to make something like the Wiiboy color by Gingerofoz, with less custom circuit boards. It will be larger than the original, but not as large as the G-boy rev 3. I also don't want to buy the G-boy kit because it's about $370 in total because of all the extra parts like the Wii, battery cells, and the wire..

You should probably define "smaller". It's possible to shave off a small amount off the top and bottom if you are very careful about the NAND traces, and it's possible to shave some off in other directions by making non-straight cuts, but you won't save much on the bounding-box size of the trim.
Yea that's pretty much what I meant, I probably will end up trying a Lmaov2 because It's about the size I need

A_s6

Portables
i don’t give a hee ho
I want to make something like the Wiiboy color by Gingerofoz, with less custom circuit boards. It will be larger than the original, but not as large as the G-boy rev 3. I also don't want to buy the G-boy kit because it's about $370 in total because of all the extra parts like the Wii, battery cells, and the wire..
realistically you’re probably going to be spending more than $370 for any portable so i don’t really understand why you said that, but i get that you’re trying to do your own design. good luck, i’ll be sure to check it out

Shank

Staff member
Portables
Trimming smaller than the recommended trim lines is one of those things where "if you have to ask, its not for you." The more you cut off, the more things you have to troubleshoot, and the more difficult your soldering points become. If you don't have experience troubleshooting the Wii or navigating the compendium, you should stick to the lines in the guides. Once you develop the experience to troubleshoot an unorthodox trim, you will know exactly where to cut.

Speaking from personal experience, building a compact portable is substantially harder than building a larger one, and will require a lot more material cost than the price of a Gboy kit.

Ok, thanks for letting me know. I do have a few 4 layer boards, so I still might try the lmaov2. Also how much would it cost to pay for the lmaov2 wii trim (if I already had the Wii)

Last edited:

Legend

Portables
Ok, thanks for letting me know. I do have a few 4 layer boards, so I still might try the lmaov2. Also how much would it cost to pay for the lmaov2 wii trim (if I already had the Wii)
It would cost $10 US dollars, a lot of time, and a considerable amount of brain power. You'll need the NAND relocation flex PCB that is sold in the store, but more importantly you'll need to study the Wii compendium HEAVILY. By that I mean finding out where components are, how they connect to each other, so on and so forth. You'll need to make sure your trim lines aren't cutting into anything important, and actually learn to relocate the NAND and its passive components (which is really just 2 decoupling capacitors).

it is also good to note that you will definitely need a hot air station as removing the NAND with just an iron isn't really an option. a LMAO trim is not impossible, its just really really hard with no experience. Hope this helps.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
You don't need a NAND relocation flex, you can wire it by hand, but I really don't recommend it.