Worklog Sl33py's build

The thermal pads might have some cushion to them to prevent having too much pressure on the processor, or the particular paste you have may be slightly conductive?
Didn't think pressure would be an issue but I guess these are delicate boards. It makes sense, I tried a scenario where I pushed on the back of the board with the heat sink on and sure enough same thing would happen. I've got some pads coming and I'm going to try to make my own IBM like heat sink to make this work.

Thanks cheese for the pressure idea

Finally made my first cut. It's not complete cause I want to try getting the component to work but first time boot up. I was nervous. Those micro zip sanders are really handy and real comfortable.
IMG_20160518_215647.jpg

Still have my test board.
IMG_20160518_215653.jpg
Next onto making a heatsink cause I don't have the space to cut one.
IMG_20160518_215719.jpg

Got my 5V heatsink working. Might need to see if it'll take 8V instead to bring it up for more airflow. I might need an exhaust fan to do a push me pull you.
IMG_20160519_214758.jpg

Yay it works. Now to start on these next things (not in any order):
1. Memory Card
2. SD gecko
3. Batteries
4. Trimming play and charge circuit like mooper did
5. New power board
6. Case design

but first I need to get everything settled and then 3D scan the bundle so I can get models all set up for some 3d printed case and test grips (for ergonomics).
IMG_20160520_224041.jpg

New voltage reg board came in.
IMG_20160521_184709.jpg
IMG_20160521_184651.jpg

edit: might need a 4th revision. This one is a little difficult to place wires. Might add on a rail system 1 pad for 1.9V, 2 or 3 pads for 3.3V, 2 or 3 pads for 5V, 2 or 3 for battery voltage assuming a 2 cell system and then 4 pads or 1 really long pad for GND.

Last edited:
Nice job,really thin profile on GameCube and love the regulator boards, clean and professional.
Can't wait to see what you do with the case :)

So you guys might know I was having sound amp issues and I tried lots of different ones and I kept realizing that these amps are loud. My audio coming direct from the GC was too low and these amplifiers are for 3W 4ohm speakers. So things became difficult. I looked at moopers board since I like his work ;) if you couldn't tell but then I stumbled on headphone amplifiers, specifically usb powered/charging ones. I narrowed it down to two. The Fiio E6 and Fiio A1. At first looking at the circuit boards I thought the E6 would be better but then I saw that all the UI (like eq and volume control) and the Line out were all in front. So then the A1 was the perfect choice but I still had one looming question. These amplifiers have buttons/switches to turn them on so I didn't know if putting 5V into the circuit would they auto turn on. The E6 doesn't auto turn on but the A1 does. Now the downside is that it loses it's volume place during on and off cycles but the good news is it's low when it turns on. Oh and the majority of noise is gone even with no shielded wire. Win Win.

Here's the pic. Super happy.
IMG_20160531_201334.jpg

bentomo

sands mobos in a single swipe
The best thing to do to try and get auto turn on is examine around the power button and see if there may be pads you can short or if you can pull a data signal up or down. You could also experiment with removing the battery, holding the power button down when it resets, etc. You may be able to trick it.

JacksonS

Portables
I ordered both these amps and they are wonderful for headphones, but they create distortion when I use them with speakers (on a Wii).
As mentioned, the A1 does auto power on if you remove the battery and apply 5v from the USB port.
I can't figure out how to auto power on the E6. Bridging the contacts of the power switch causes an endless cycling between on and off. The power switch signal goes to a nameless IC that also receives the signals from the volume buttons, so I'm not sure how much can be done about getting it to power on automatically without stripping it of its functionality.

Anyway, these are a really good find. Thanks!

Thanks guys.

Should have an update soon or at least cad models. I started my first hobby again, drones so I have multiple projects at once. I need 3 days at least a week to work on my stuff.

Thanks AC.

Sneak peak at what I'm up to. The orangish blob is a 3d scan I did of the cut board with heat sinks/fan. Hopefully by next weekend I'll have some of the case started. I'm going to start small sections at a time then print them. Going to figure out the analogue triggers first.
sneak 1.JPG
sneak 2.JPG

I'm curious, what are you looking at in terms of overall dimensions? Also is that a 5" screen or a 5.6" screen?