Question Should i make my portable emulated or let it have a real motherboard.

Portables
0, working on one
Basically this is the design i'm going to. The part that really made me think if i should use emulated or not are the controllers, i want them to be like the nintendo switches. That means you could deattach them and I was also thinking of trying to make a dock, just in case i want to play on a big screen. Also if i do emulated could i somehow use real controllers and connect 2, 3, 4 players. Not sure what do this now that i'm here so just asking :)
untitled.png

If you're doing a Wii portable you should probably do a real motherboard, because the real thing runs perfectly smooth while an emulated device might run a bit slow at times. If your wanting to have detachable controllers how would an emulated device make it work better? Also, if you want to have other controllers connected for multiplayer then check the GameCube controllers section in the Wii Trimming Guide for a real Wii motherboard, this way you can maybe put some controller ports in the charging dock and connect GameCube controllers to the Wii and have multiplayer(This is the best way I could think of).

Also, just so you know the controller design you have doesn't have enough controls to play that many games.

Last edited:
Portables
0, working on one
If you're doing a Wii portable you should probably do a real motherboard, because the real thing runs perfectly smooth while an emulated device might run a bit slow at times. If your wanting to have detachable controllers how would an emulated device make it work better? Also, if you want to have other controllers connected for multiplayer then check the GameCube controllers section in the Wii Trimming Guide for a real Wii motherboard, this way you can maybe put some controller ports in the charging dock and connect GameCube controllers to the Wii and have multiplayer(This is the best way I could think of).

Also, just so you know the controller design you have doesn't have enough controls to play that many games.
Thanks for the advice, ill look into it

It's more your decision, what you want to play/emulate and your tastes, besides that boards that emulate Wii are a bit more expensive than a Wii and a bit more difficult to deal with, if you want a more modest board it's much easier to deal with but it has less power, (or at least what I've seen).

There are 2 microchips that have interested me, so that perhaps later I can carry out a personal project of this type, take the following videos as a reference (as a reference to the power of the microchips):

rasperri pi 4 overclocked:

Firefly RK3588S:

I hope it will help you to finalize your project, I also have some ideas for the controllers, and on second thought the only alternatives are a switch controller or reverse engineering a pirated Wii remote and with that make a custom PCB refusing the components.

Perhaps a more experienced user can help you / complement this entry.

Portables
0, working on one
It's more your decision, what you want to play/emulate and your tastes, besides that boards that emulate Wii are a bit more expensive than a Wii and a bit more difficult to deal with, if you want a more modest board it's much easier to deal with but it has less power, (or at least what I've seen).

There are 2 microchips that have interested me, so that perhaps later I can carry out a personal project of this type, take the following videos as a reference (as a reference to the power of the microchips):

Firefly RK3588S:

I hope it will help you to finalize your project, I also have some ideas for the controllers, and on second thought the only alternatives are a switch controller or reverse engineering a pirated Wii remote and with that make a custom PCB refusing the components.

What do you mean by a pirated controller, is there a difference?

Portables
0, working on one

Firefly RK3588S:

Also im not sure if i should have deattachable controller. This is my first project and im wondering if its too much, or is it more simple than i think.

Portables
0, working on one

Yeah i know, im switching some stuff up. Im wondering do i need a dpad or is a joycon good enough, the games im going to play are like, gnomz, mario kart, nsmbw, and some more that ill find along the way. Also does it have to be gamecube controllers or is there anyway i could use normal wii controllers to play multiplayer.

AFE123

0x737cfb7b4d5677317210bddc07c6a51a 106e1f45330ee7a
Portables
1ish.
Also im not sure if i should have deattachable controller. This is my first project and im wondering if its too much, or is it more simple than i think.
Imma be honest, you're getting a little too ambitious for a first project. I'm currently working on my first portable (also looked at other threads), and found that you're more likely to finish your portable if you aim for something you can actually complete. When I was younger, I tried making a portable, but quickly gave up because I had my expectations set too high. Also, I feel like you'd need to be really knowledgeable to even attempt implementing joycons in your portable.

By normal Wii controllers, I'm assuming you're referring to the Wii classic controller. To get that working, you'd have to attach that to a Wii remote which would require relocating BT (requires scrapping and soldering to tiny traces on the motherboard (Assuming you're using a 4 layer).

If you're going the pi route, I believe you can use any USB controller. There's a ton of info on pi gaming handhelds online.

Last edited:
Portables
0, working on one
Imma be honest, you're getting a little too ambitious for a first project. I'm currently working on my first portable (also looked at other threads), and found that you're more likely to finish your portable if you aim for something you can actually complete. When I was younger, I tried making a portable, but quickly gave up because I had my expectations set too high. Also, I feel like you'd need to be really knowledgeable to even attempt implementing joycons in your portable.

By normal Wii controllers, I'm assuming you're referring to the Wii classic controller. To get that working, you'd have to attach that to a Wii remote which would require relocating BT (requires scrapping and soldering to tiny traces on the motherboard (Assuming you're using a 4 layer).

If you're going the pi route, I believe you can use any USB controller. There's a ton of info on pi gaming handhelds online.
All my eyes are pointed towards emulated for now, but i do have a question. If i used a emulated wii would i get audio glitches and stuff like that in games like super mario galaxy 1/2.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Probably. Emulators are never as good as native hardware, especially when it comes to audio

What do you mean by a pirated controller, is there a difference?
From what I've seen, the fake controls are "simpler" than the original ones, so it should be "easier" to reverse-engineer them to reduce them (unless you want to make a portable the size of the wiimote) if you want to use the wiimote full size i think it would be much easier, you could just hide some contacts like in the switch controller that connects the nunchuck to the wiimote inside the case and connect the wiimote with the wii by bluetooth , and use them wired when you take them out (wouldn't know how to connect them wirelessly)

I would recommend you trim down your wii and all that, and then see if it's too hard for you or if you feel ready to go to the next step with the experience you've gained.

Portables
0, working on one
From what I've seen, the fake controls are "simpler" than the original ones, so it should be "easier" to reverse-engineer them to reduce them (unless you want to make a portable the size of the wiimote) if you want to use the wiimote full size i think it would be much easier, you could just hide some contacts like in the switch controller that connects the nunchuck to the wiimote inside the case and connect the wiimote with the wii by bluetooth , and use them wired when you take them out (wouldn't know how to connect them wirelessly)

I would recommend you trim down your wii and all that, and then see if it's too hard for you or if you feel ready to go to the next step with the experience you've gained.
"you could just hide some contacts like in the switch controller that connects the nunchuck to the wiimote inside the case and connect the wiimote with the wii by bluetooth", thats what i had in mind, i wasnt sure if it was going to work but now i got a idea :)

Portables
0, working on one
I just took apart a broken wii remote and a broken ps3 controller, so i got my dpad and buttons the analog sticks were broken tho so im not using those. Tomorrow im probably gonna 3d model the buttons and dpad and the membrane pads but yeah good progress ig?

I just took apart a broken wii remote and a broken ps3 controller, so i got my dpad and buttons the analog sticks were broken tho so im not using those. Tomorrow im probably gonna 3d model the buttons and dpad and the membrane pads but yeah good progress ig?
look for your control to have all the GC buttons, you can do without the crosshead if you don't like it

Portables
0, working on one
look for your control to have all the GC buttons, you can do without the crosshead if you don't like it
I took out a wiimote motherboard, im going to try to practice on it. Cause for later results i dont want a broken wiimote.

Portables
0, working on one
I made a wii dpad accurate model incase anyone needs it. Edit i just made a ps3 button 3d model and also a rough wiimote motherboard

Attachments

Last edited:
Portables
0, working on one
I have a question, how do i make the wii pointer controlled by a joycon

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
I have a question, how do i make the wii pointer controlled by a joycon
On a Wii, you can't. If you're using RVLoader, you can emulate Wiimote controls and the IR pointer using a Gamecube controller/GC+, but that's about it. JacksonS created a custom PCB once upon a time that converts touchscreen input into IR pointer movement, but that project was never made public and seems to be dead. RVLoader is the only real option atm.

For emulators, I have no idea. I imagine there's a setting somewhere in the control bindings of Dolphin for that, but I can't say for sure.

Portables
0, working on one
On a Wii, you can't. If you're using RVLoader, you can emulate Wiimote controls and the IR pointer using a Gamecube controller/GC+, but that's about it. JacksonS created a custom PCB once upon a time that converts touchscreen input into IR pointer movement, but that project was never made public and seems to be dead. RVLoader is the only real option atm.

For emulators, I have no idea. I imagine there's a setting somewhere in the control bindings of Dolphin for that, but I can't say for sure.
The thing is that i want to play mario kart online, does rvloader allow that?

Shipyu

The thing is that i want to play mario kart online, does rvloader allow that?
That may be off-topic but to play mk online you'll need to relocate the wifi module which is, from what I've read, really hard
Also, you'll need to use custom firmware to play on private servers but I don't think that's easily doable in case you use RVLoader