Worklog Shank's "First" Wii Portable Worklog: PiiWii Pocket

Status
Not open for further replies.

Noah

retired
Portables
Here's my contribution to the release:

These measurements are taken directly from the vectors provided by @Shank so they should fit perfectly. Mounting drills are 1.5MM.

https://oshpark.com/profiles/noah

Make sure to order these at 0.8MM thickness. Due to the overall thickness of the case it's the only way it'll fit the PCBs and buttons above the 18650s.

Last edited:
Portables
Hey @Shank, what voltage are you powering the IR LEDs with? Is it 5v or less? I see on the trimming guide there is a 12v PWM point (and gnd) for the sensor bar but I don't think that is necessary to power two IR LEDs.

I'm building a system in a Wii U gamepad and it has two IR LEDs built-in along the top and I was just planning on running a gnd and vcc wire to each of them from the 1v regulator. Looking at data sheets for similar IR LEDs from Adafruit or Mouser, they all state a voltage of ~1.3v.

Attachments

Shank

Staff member
Portables
I used 3.3v, and ran the IR leds in series and through a resistor. You can run them from any voltage, as long as you have the right current limiting resistor. The stock Wii sensor bar runs on 12v, but if you are using your own LEDs, it doesn't matter the voltage as long as you have a resistor to create the desired current. Read your datasheet, and match the numbers. Here's a good calculator I use to calculate it easily.

As for LEDs, just order a bag of them off ebay or from china. Mouser and especially adafruit overcharge exorbitantly for LEDs. And I adafruit's customer service blows, so that too.

Measure Twice. Cut once. Tweak design. Repeat.

Unfortunately, in a form factor this small, I have to go with this 3.5" screen. I could dish out another $100+ for a nicer screen, $15 for a converter, and remove batteries to accommodate the larger drive board and a converter, but on a screen this small, it isn't worth it unless I can find a better alternative

EDIT:
Screen mounting method isn't done. I can hold it in by hand and try to hold my phone steady, but for now thats the best I can do. Everything fits, with enough clearance to not obstruct the nearby components :DView attachment 466 View attachment 467
Could you use a RasberryPi screen? Any specific brand that you used? I'm thinking of making one with a 5"x3" screen does any screen work? I'm new at this so ...

Portables
sin^2(x) + cos^2(x) +e^(i*pi)
Could you use a RasberryPi screen? Any specific brand that you used? I'm thinking of making one with a 5"x3" screen does any screen work? I'm new at this so ...
Hi
you can use a raspberry pi screen, but it's not recommended for about two reasons; Number one; You need an adapter to convert composite to hdmi, which adds more unnecessary hardware. Number two; There's problem where they won't scale right, so you don't get the full picture, and it's not a little bit either, picture is shifted to the side alot.

About any screen with Vga, or Composite will work.
I suggest going through the guide hub to start learning about the in's and out's of making a portable wii
----> https://bitbuilt.net/forums/index.php?forums/guide-hub.89/ <-----

if you have any questions, I suggest looking through google, and then bitbuilt, and if you can't figure it out, make a thread on it, or ask in discord. Since this thread is kind of for shank's portable, and not really for other's.

(or maybe a mod could move this to it's own thread?)

Shank

Staff member
Portables
hey Shank what happened to the birdii project?
just wanted to ask
The birdii is still on the agenda, it's just on the back burner right now. I want it to be as good as it can possibly be, so I'm waiting on several developments so I can utilize them all.

How much would a PiiWii cost to make?
Do you think I would be able to make it? I have no experience with making gaming handhelds.

Shank

Staff member
Portables
How much would a PiiWii cost to make?
Do you think I would be able to make it? I have no experience with making gaming handhelds.
Please don't bump old threads unless you have something new to contribute to them. It is against the rules on most forums, including BitBuilt.

This is a pretty difficult build. I sent out several cases, and the only other person to finish one was Gman. It was a complete pain to assemble tbh. It's construction and internals are antiquated, as the scene has come a long way since this portable was designed. For a first project, I would recommend going with the G-Wii, waiting for the release of the WiiBoy kit, or designing your own portable to suit your needs.

AngelMarc

Please don't bump old threads unless you have something new to contribute to them. It is against the rules on most forums, including BitBuilt.

This is a pretty difficult build. I sent out several cases, and the only other person to finish one was Gman. It was a complete pain to assemble tbh. It's construction and internals are antiquated, as the scene has come a long way since this portable was designed. For a first project, I would recommend going with the G-Wii, waiting for the release of the WiiBoy kit, or designing your own portable to suit your needs.
Hmm, 3 years later and I don't have to ask because he asked. I wonder how many others have just read to this point and said "welp, guess i don't get to know.".

Status
Not open for further replies.