Guide Setting up Wii and GameCube games

BitBuiltBot

Site Robot
File structure and naming schemes
If your setup does not match this, it will not be guaranteed to work, or even show up in the loader:

Proper file structure for GameCube games

Code:
USB://
     games/
          Batman Begins/
               game.iso
          Game Description/
               game.iso
               disc2.iso
Proper file structure for Wii games
Code:
     wbfs/
          IRONMAN.wbfs
          ANYDESCRIPTION.wbfs
          AnySubfolder/
               whatever.wbfs

Quick reference

Gamecube:
USB:/games/Game Description/game.iso
Please note: Due to the way Nintendont integration works, the .iso file for each game must be literally named "game.iso" (without the quotes). Naming an iso file anything other than "game.iso" will cause it to not show up in RVLoader's game list. The folder that houses each game's .iso file can be named whatever you like. If you do everything correctly and games still aren't showing up, check your Folder Options in Windows Explorer to see if File Name Extensions are visible. If they aren't, then you've likely accidentally named the file "game.iso.iso" due to the true file extension being hidden from you by Windows. Removing the duplicate ".iso" will fix the problem.

Wii:
USB:/wbfs/ANYDESCRIPTION.wbfs

Converting .iso files to .wbfs
Use this tool: http://www.isotowbfs.com/

Make sure you select the split option that mention FAT32.

Installing Covers

Game covers can be downloaded from https://www.gametdb.com/. Use the search feature to find your game and select the correct link (Eg. GMSE01 - Super Mario Sunshine). You can also download the entire GC/Wii cover collections under the "Covers" section here: https://www.gametdb.com/Wii/Downloads#cover_packs

Save a cover shown on the right and place in USB:/rvloader/covers/

Covers are 160px × 224px PNG files and need to be named the same as the game ID (Eg. GMSE01.png)

Changelog:
(yyyy-mm-dd)
2023-04-03 - Stitches - Added a passage to specify that Gamecube .iso files must be named "game.iso" rather than being named after the game like their containing folder.
2023-06-05 - Stitches - Added a passage to the Gamecube section to troubleshoot hidden file extensions.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have my wbfs games set up the same way as this, and when i try to launch one on hiidra it gets stuck on "Waiting for DI". any clue what could be?

I tried to load into a game but it said kernel couldn't be loaded/found/whetever idk

Luca

Hi all, I'm new here,

I have a portable Wii which I purchased recently but it did not come with a sd card or usb stick etc .. so it's taken me a while to find any information on the device, I've been struggling to get it working, I've managed to boot it up and get into some menu's, but I'm unable to get the games to show up,

I've just found this forum , and seen the information seen above in the thread which is great, but I was wondering how do I find the information on the GameCube games , all I have are backups which are zipped iso files , where can find information on the game ID or game description etc ? Is there a date base to get this information?

Thanks for your help .
Welcome! You would need to unzip the isos firstly, then if it is running Portablizemii:

And if it is running BBLoader:

Where did you buy the portable?

Dc3d

Thank you so much for the help and advice! I really appreciate it

I brought the console off AliExpress, but it didn't come with an SD card ( I May have lost it in the packaging ) , that why I have been struggling to get it to work . I've managed to get some menu's showing up, just no games .

Dc3d

I don't seem to be able to save any games ? This is what software this is running, I don't have the usb drive plugged in yet in this first shot, when I do plug it in it goes straight to this menu, is this all correct or am I missing something? I also don't seem to be able to see my Wii games , and they have been converted from iso to wbfs files using Wii backup manager

I've managed to get games working for both GameCube and Wii games now, but I'm wondering how I get games to Always use the classic Wii controller setup instead of defaulting to teh Wii remote and nunchuck . Is there an option to change this ? Are there any good video guides in English anywhere on how to go through each setting ? Also is it possible to add emulators like retroarch etc

I've managed to get games working for both GameCube and Wii games now, but I'm wondering how I get games to Always use the classic Wii controller setup instead of defaulting to teh Wii remote and nunchuck . Is there an option to change this ? Are there any good video guides in English anywhere on how to go through each setting ? Also is it possible to add emulators like retroarch etc
Hi all,

How do you guys get WAD files working for virtual console? I cannot seem to get any to work, do you have to install them ? If so how do you do this ?

Also, do any of your have a settings guide for getting the Wii controls to work with the GameCube button layout . I cannot seem to get games like metroid prime to work , as it's asking for the nunchuck or it cannot connect to a Wii controller? I've tried mapping it myself but I still get some issue .

I have one more question, how do we reset the console without a reset button, is there a key combi we need to use ?

Hi all,

How do you guys get WAD files working for virtual console? I cannot seem to get any to work, do you have to install them ? If so how do you do this ?

Also, do any of your have a settings guide for getting the Wii controls to work with the GameCube button layout . I cannot seem to get games like metroid prime to work , as it's asking for the nunchuck or it cannot connect to a Wii controller? I've tried mapping it myself but I still get some issue .

I have one more question, how do we reset the console without a reset button, is there a key combi we need to use ?
Here is a video of what happens when I try to load a wad file.

Please can you guys give me some direction or advice on why it's not working? Everything else seems to work , although I have yet to be able to find the correct settings to map the wii controllers to a game etc ..

Attachments

buzzyc

Here is a video of what happens when I try to load a wad file.

Please can you guys give me some direction or advice on why it's not working? Everything else seems to work , although I have yet to be able to find the correct settings to map the wii controllers to a game etc ..
From your video it looks like you're trying to launch a NES VC game?
These require the MX chip to have been relocated to work, which is often optional in many Wii portable builds.
You can run a Homebrew app to check if the MX chip is present. There is a link to the dol file in this thread:

Also, I would recommend moving this line of questioning out of this thread, as this is designed as an informative thread rather than a troubleshooting one.

Last edited:
File structure and naming schemes
If your setup does not match this, it will not be guaranteed to work, or even show up in the loader:

Proper file structure for GameCube games

Code:
     games/
          Batman Begins/
               game.iso
          Game Description/
               game.iso
               disc2.iso
Proper file structure for Wii games
Code:
     wbfs/
          IRONMAN.wbfs
          ANYDESCRIPTION.wbfs
          AnySubfolder/
               whatever.wbfs

Quick reference

Gamecube:
USB:/games/Game Description/game.iso

Wii:
USB:/wbfs/ANYDESCRIPTION.wbfs

Converting .iso files to .wbfs
Use this tool: http://www.isotowbfs.com/

Make sure you select the split option that mention FAT32.

Installing Covers

Game covers can be downloaded from https://www.gametdb.com/. Use the search feature to find your game and select the correct link (Eg. GMSE01 - Super Mario Sunshine).

Save a cover shown on the right and place in USB:/BBloader/covers/.

Covers are 160px × 224px PNG files and need to be named the same as the game ID (Eg. GMSE01.png)
Will it support partitioned hdd? My wii games are in a NTFS partition.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
how do you play emulators. what folder will i have 2 make to make it show up in bbloader. thank you.
No idea. You'll have to find emulators and test them yourself, RVLoader doesn't have any packaged emulators yet.

Portables
Forgive me for asking if it's already been answered, but I can't find the post if it has.
What's the folder name for Wii Channels supposed to be? Got a WAD for the Mii Channel but I have no idea what folder to put it in since it doesn't seem like there's a dedicated "Wii Channels" folder or anything like that.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Forgive me for asking if it's already been answered, but I can't find the post if it has.
What's the folder name for Wii Channels supposed to be? Got a WAD for the Mii Channel but I have no idea what folder to put it in since it doesn't seem like there's a dedicated "Wii Channels" folder or anything like that.
From the official RVLoader thread:
VC/WiiWare titles are supported, but still experimental. Copy VC .wad files in the /vc folder on the root of your drive. WiiWare and Wii channels go in the /channels folder on the root of your drive.
If you don't have those folders, just make them yourself and move the files there