Selling Safely Online

Madmorda

Painting Queen
Portables
I was just wondering what the safest way to sell online is. EBay takes 10% and PayPal takes an additional 3%, so I'm semi-reluctant to use both of them to sell, but don't want to get scammed by being cheap. I customize all kinds of consoles but normally sell on craigslist because buyers can see it themselves before buying. But what about selling online? How do you guys sell your work?

Feel free to move this thread to wherever it should go if it's in the wrong place :)

ShockSlayer

the real
Portables
please do not ask!!!! I will NOT respond
http://bitbuilt.net/forums/index.ph...-guide-to-buying-selling-trading-success.256/
Might not be entirely what you're looking for, but it's got good practices to follow. And also says that basically everyone uses Paypal. It offers both you and your buyer some protection, so that there can be some mediation in a potential dispute. Additionally, any money sent as a gift doesn't have a fee and can't be refunded, if you want to go that route.

Madmorda

Painting Queen
Portables
http://bitbuilt.net/forums/index.ph...-guide-to-buying-selling-trading-success.256/
Might not be entirely what you're looking for, but it's got good practices to follow. And also says that basically everyone uses Paypal. It offers both you and your buyer some protection, so that there can be some mediation in a potential dispute. Additionally, any money sent as a gift doesn't have a fee and can't be refunded, if you want to go that route.
The thread indicates asking for payment up front, is that a good practice? If I was a buyer, I'd be wary of paying up front. I see a lot online about protecting buyers but not as much about protecting sellers. My worry is that asking for money up front is kind of shady (unless you're well-known), and asking for it after shipping the item is asking for trouble. :T

ShockSlayer

the real
Portables
please do not ask!!!! I will NOT respond
You have to create trust before any business is done. Pictures, communication, etc, is key beforehand. As a compromise, you can ask for half, but I've been screwed on that too.

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
The thread indicates asking for payment up front, is that a good practice? If I was a buyer, I'd be wary of paying up front. I see a lot online about protecting buyers but not as much about protecting sellers. My worry is that asking for money up front is kind of shady (unless you're well-known), and asking for it after shipping the item is asking for trouble. :T
As a buyer on forums, I can say I am fine with paying up front, as long as they say they will ship soon. If they don't ship (no tracking #, I don't get stuff) I just reverse on poopPal...
Though, I've never personally been burned on a forum purchase.

Madmorda

Painting Queen
Portables
Thank you all for your replies :) I'll give it a shot using PayPal and see how that goes.