Worklog Seer's Wii Laptop

Portables
I have returned from a 2 year slumber! I am reviving this project, as I've been re-inspired by how much Wii portablizing has progressed since I last was here.

New!
  • 1920x1080 17.1in screen, now LED backlit!
  • Beautiful VGA output thanks to @Aurelio (no more YPbPr->VGA board!)
  • Custom trim to reduce relocations and work (removed stock regs, SD)
I'll be 3d printing the lower case middle, and using polycarbonate (lexan) for the top and bottom.
The LCD will also have a 3d printed bezel, and polycarbonate for the back.

Picture time!
trim plan.png

IMG_20181110_051603-1.jpg

IMG_20181110_055810.jpg

Update Video 1 - 11/10/18

Old worklog below
Hi guys, since I had a few Wiis laying around, and I lost the drive to continue work on my GC portable, I decided to start a Wii laptop.

Main goals are decent battery life (3-4 hrs), hi-res display (atleast 1280x720, 17 in) and full Wii and GC compatibility.

Currently achieved goals are:
  • Hi-res display (1440x900, 17.3in )
  • Full GC Compatability

I've already begun using CAD to design the case. Here are some pictures.

NOICE2.png

NOICE3.png

Here's some pics of the progress as of 5/20/16, along with the commissioned motherboard from @ShockSlayer.

20160521_194841.jpg 20160521_194846.jpg 20160521_194901.jpg 20160521_194908.jpg

Update vid!

Progress as of 5/24/16 is:
  • Full GC Compatability
  • Audio, Video fully working (using YPbPr->VGA converter)
  • 12v and 5v regs working
  • Able to run off of a test battery for 30 mins (it was a 4 cell series pack with old cells that had a low capacity, about 700mAh total pack capacity)
  • Mockup case made of scrap wood and plastic, with screen mounted on hinge
Progress as of 9/18/16 is:
  • Extensive play testing (20+ hrs)
  • PortablizeMii installed for full game compatability (along with emulators)
  • Battery pack made from 3400mAh Panasonic cells (7.4v@6800mAh)
  • LCD LVDS cable extended (causes almost unnoticable horiz. lines)
  • BQ24172 Eval board ordered for charge and play (will trim it)
  • Fixed USB stability issues
  • Still in shitty wooden case

Last edited:
Portables
Looks are definitely high on the list this time around. The curent case of my GC portable is duct tape and cardboad, so anything is an improvement. Fortunately, I've had 6yrs worth of engineering courses and know my way around Inventor and working with raw materials. We have a laser engraver and a 3D printer that I have access to at my school, so I plan to take full advantage of those.

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
Just basing my scale on the gc ports, it looks like you'll have a decent amount of room for batteries in that laptop, I'd say that is going to be one long lasting Wii, especially if you put a more efficient one in there.

Portables
Just basing my scale on the gc ports, it looks like you'll have a decent amount of room for batteries in that laptop, I'd say that is going to be one long lasting Wii, especially if you put a more efficient one in there.
The current size is 15x10 inches, and it may end up being bigger, depending on what screen I get and how big the bezel is. Ideally, I'd get just a panel and driver from eBay or something, and design my own bezel. But I've also been considering getting a premade laptop screen, with bezel, back and hinges, like what Ashen did for his. Still not sure.

Portables
I've been having some issues with my Wii 2 HDMI module from Amazon. The damn thing won't power up, even though I've connected all the grounds and 3.3v, 5v and 12v to it. I had it wired earlier and it worked fine, so I don't know whats going on.Anybody have any experience with these?

bentomo

sands mobos in a single swipe
All I know is that they're pretty cheap.

Sometimes you have to make sure the setting for 480p in the wii menu.

Portables
Big stuff happening, I got my screen in and am talking to ShockSlayer about a trim board. I'll be moving to CPU-40's and have ordered a broken Wii for parts (GC ports, extra wifi and bluetooth modules, SD slot, DVD board etc.) I gave up on those crappy Wii2HDMI converters and have ordered a Component to VGA adapter, and a driver board for my laptop screen. Pictures of screen coming this afternoon!

Portables
I'm back! Latest news is the installation of PortablizeMii, testing of 5 different USB drives, EXTENSIVE usage of laptop (rather than working on it) and the ordering of a BQ24172 Eval Board for charge and play. Once the board comes in I'm going to try and map it out. For trimming of course!

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
I'm back! Latest news is the installation of PortablizeMii, testing of 5 different USB drives, EXTENSIVE usage of laptop (rather than working on it) and the ordering of a BQ24172 Eval Board for charge and play. Once the board comes in I'm going to try and map it out. For trimming of course!
No need to map it out, its design is public and you can find drawings of each layer of the board on the datasheet: http://www.ti.com/lit/ug/sluu462a/sluu462a.pdf

Portables
Yeah I know about the datasheet, but I was going to continuity test the crap out of it and draw a diagram myself. I like getting to know the board myself better than reading the datasheet. Then I can check the datasheet and confirm what I tested, so I'm double sure about where I want to cut.

EDIT: Also maybe (big maybe) spin up a custom board (very big maybe)

Portables
It's been 2 years, but I'm back at it.
Those of you in the discord have probably seen my near-spam of my progress, but for the rest I'm updating the first post now.

Portables
I have returned from a 2 year slumber! I am reviving this project, as I've been re-inspired by how much Wii portablizing has progressed since I last was here.

New!
  • 1920x1080 17.1in screen, now LED backlit!
  • Beautiful VGA output thanks to @Aurelio (no more YPbPr->VGA board!)
  • Custom trim to reduce relocations and work (removed stock regs, SD)
I'll be 3d printing the lower case middle, and using polycarbonate (lexan) for the top and bottom.
The LCD will also have a 3d printed bezel, and polycarbonate for the back.

Picture time!

Update Video 1 - 11/10/18

Old worklog below
Hi guys, since I had a few Wiis laying around, and I lost the drive to continue work on my GC portable, I decided to start a Wii laptop.

Main goals are decent battery life (3-4 hrs), hi-res display (atleast 1280x720, 17 in) and full Wii and GC compatibility.

Currently achieved goals are:
  • Hi-res display (1440x900, 17.3in )
  • Full GC Compatability

I've already begun using CAD to design the case. Here are some pictures.

View attachment 329

View attachment 330

Here's some pics of the progress as of 5/20/16, along with the commissioned motherboard from @ShockSlayer.

View attachment 406 View attachment 407 View attachment 410 View attachment 411

Update vid!

Progress as of 5/24/16 is:
  • Full GC Compatability
  • Audio, Video fully working (using YPbPr->VGA converter)
  • 12v and 5v regs working
  • Able to run off of a test battery for 30 mins (it was a 4 cell series pack with old cells that had a low capacity, about 700mAh total pack capacity)
  • Mockup case made of scrap wood and plastic, with screen mounted on hinge
Progress as of 9/18/16 is:
  • Extensive play testing (20+ hrs)
  • PortablizeMii installed for full game compatability (along with emulators)
  • Battery pack made from 3400mAh Panasonic cells (7.4v@6800mAh)
  • LCD LVDS cable extended (causes almost unnoticable horiz. lines)
  • BQ24172 Eval board ordered for charge and play (will trim it)
  • Fixed USB stability issues
  • Still in shitty wooden case
If you don't mind me asking did you relocate wifi in order for it to work (besides the custom regulator of course)

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
If you don't mind me asking did you relocate wifi in order for it to work (besides the custom regulator of course)
He is using NoWiFi IOSes, so he removed the need for the WiFi module.

Portables
Hehe, progress is very slow.
Since the last update I began 3d modelling the case and LCD frame.
CadFront_04-01-19.png CadRear_04-01-19.png
I'm broke right now so I can't buy any new parts, but recently got a 3d printer and printed a test of the bottom half of the LCD frame.
To print the part, I had to split it in to 4 bodies in Fusion before exporting to STL. I then bonded the two bottom pieces with some superglue.
LCDFrameRev1.jpg
It fits perfectly around the LCD, and the superglue between surfaces holds quite well.
I need to deepen the trough for the cable, and work on how I'm going to attach the hinges. Thankfully I don't need to rely completely on the printed part for strength, as the back plate and front bezel will be made of poly-carbonate.

I also found my missing PTH08080 and wired up 5v, and (temporarily) relocated the AV port.
Once I figure out where all the ports I want are going to go on the case, it'll be PCB design time.

EDIT: Just realized I haven't shown the final trim yet (still flaky on GC memcard slots, someone convince me to remove them)
OverheadView.jpg ItWorks.jpg 5V area.jpg AVRelocation.jpg

Last edited:
Good work! Have you been running this vga mod aways in 480p? or sometimes in 480i? and whem?