Screen with the tiny board

Hiro

Hi everyone, I'm making a portable and am using the screen with the tiny motherboard (pictured below). The problem is that whenever my battery is running out the screen gets underpowered. I remember a long time ago shockslayer made a video about the same screen, he cut some pin to bypass the onboard regulator and that fixed the problem but I can't find the video. I tried looking looking on the old shockslayer forums but I couldn't find it on there either. Help would be very much appreciated, thanks :).

13646690_10207408960888208_1068491531_o.jpg

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
Do a continuity test to the pins on the chip on the bottom left to the vcc input pin and see if it goes there, it looks like something for power regulation.

Alternatively, you could make some sort of boost converter to raise the voltage from the battery so even when the battery gets low, the screen will stay powered at the proper voltage.

ShockSlayer

the real
Portables
please do not ask!!!! I will NOT respond
screenfix.png

Lift that pin.

If I recall correctly, the screen used a voltage divider on the main voltage input to regulate an enable pin. Once the voltage drops too low, it shuts off. There's an internal pull up or something whenever you lift it, so it stays on.

I probably have the datasheet for that IC somewhere if anyone's interested, but I know this works because it's what I did in my TSFv2 that continues to work to this day.

EDIT: This image is really ugly but it works. Later on I'd like to redo it with my current equipment and add it to the guide hub. For now, I'm going to move this thread to guide submissions so I don't forget.

Shank

Staff member
Portables
Im using the same screen and have performed the same mod as well. I can confirm it will work as low as 5v. At 4.9 and below, things start to get wonky, but that's far outside the range of a 7.4v pack.

pengy

Don't want to bump this thread too far, but it seemed like as good a spot as any.

How do you identify the screen with this tiny motherboard when looking at all the ones online?

Edit, lol never mind, I just realized this one is sold as a bare screen and board, not a backup monitor.

Last edited: