Screen help

Harry

IMG_6228.JPG
I found this little picture monitor at my local thrift store and was wondering if it was possible somehow to hook up an AV connection to it, I have scoured the internet looking at chips but I have been able to find nothing and was hoping someone with more experience might be able to find something. Also (if a connection point is found) I was also wondering if there was a way to power it off of 5v instead of its normal 9

Attachments

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
I think what you've bought there is an Android based digital sign/picture frame. The url on the back leads to a company who makes digital signs, and I've seen those boards with a microSD slot before. Afaik these don't have AV inputs, they're designed to display pictures and videos from the microSD card only.

YveltalGriffin

First Wii U Trimmer
Portables
Stitches is totally right. I did some searching and the AM7331 is a digital picture frame SOC. The SOC contains a CPU, LCD driver, and some other interesting modules. Here's a PDF with a pinout of the AM7331 if you're interested. As the pinout shows, this IC was specifically made to read in data from the SD card and drive the panel.

I looked up the LCD panel itself and it uses a non-standard 60-pin connector with a non-standard pinout, and requires gamma correction voltages. Believe it or not though, NJYTouch (great company) makes a driver board for it! Here's the driver board on Aliexpress. I think this driver board is running a custom firmware because your screen is 800x600 and the vanilla KYV-N2 V2 is for 640x480 screens. Point is, you might be able to use the LCD if you bought a new driver board.

Sorry for the essay, but I really like TFTs. Hope this helps.